• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Midway......

New movie?
From Hollywood?

Probably focused on all the innocent Japanese soldiers/sailors/airmen who lost their lives, due to a simple misunderstanding between their government and the evil/dumb American government.

Me and my boys saw it this afternoon.

It was good. 2-1/2 hours long.

But knowing what I know I would wait for it to come out on HBO or whatever.

Maybe the theater just needed to turn up the sound or something - could have used more bass. They did a good job with the main characters.

This is opening weekend and the 3:20 show today was maybe 25% full. That part helped in getting good seats though.

Me and my boys saw it this afternoon.

It was good. 2-1/2 hours long.

But knowing what I know I would wait for it to come out on HBO or whatever.

Maybe the theater just needed to turn up the sound or something - could have used more bass. They did a good job with the main characters.

This is opening weekend and the 3:20 show today was maybe 25% full. That part helped in getting good seats though.

Dinner guests at the house last night saw it yesterday, both raved about it, both said the sound was incredible. They saw it at Brookhaven Cinebistro, a good theatre. The wife was not a fan of war movies, went as a quid pro quo for one the Hubs had gone to with her. For her to like it, it must be good!

If you know the history, you might very well hate this movie. They got a lot of things right, but the offending mistakes are VERY hard to overlook.

Examples: [SPOILER ALERT]

1) There is not a single F4F Wildcat in the movie. American fighter planes were non-existent. For dog-fighting action, you have to be content with SBDs duking it out with the Zeroes. I kid you not.

2) Marine Fighter Squadron 221 stationed on Midway? The 26 brave pilots who went out to meet the Japanese raiders against near certain-death odds? Like they never existed. CGI'd right out of existence. However, you'll be happy to know they did have time to glorify filmmaker John Ford, who happened to be on Midway at the time to make a movie, and who apparently braved direct straffing from the Japanese raiders to get incredible video (that never happened).

3) The Yorktown's entire participation in the battle is depicted as: Heroically rushed out of dry dock and repaired underway, and then, burning off in the distance, late in the battle, as seen from Enterprise. Yep. That's the Yorktown, as depicted in this movie. The Hornet faired a bit better, since Doolittle's raid took off from her deck, and they were determined to waste 20 minutes of screen time with Aaron Eckhart as Doolittle, first exhorting his men on the importance of the mission, and then him on the ground in China, forming important bonds with our Chinese allies, while trying to escape China.

4) They completely inflated the Marshall Islands raid, including a kamikaze attack on the Enterprise that Nick Jonas (yes, of boy band fame), an Aviation Gunners Mate 3rd, heroically thwarts by jumping into a parked-on-the-deck SBD and madly gunning the twin engine bomber until it only glances the Enterprise, while slicing his parked plane in half, leaving him without a scratch. Admiral Halsey breathlessly tell him it was the bravest thing he's ever seen, and promotes him to 1st on the spot. Really.

Otherwise, it was great. :rolleyes:

Movie had enormous potential, but the studio apparently assumed the average viewer would be a 14 year old girl with a crush on Nick Jonas, with limited command of American history.

Back
Top Bottom