• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Might trade my G21 for a 9mm. Talk me in or out.

Madrox

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Fancy Man of Cornwood
476   1
Reaction score
I went shooting the other day, and I am much more accurate with a 9mm and my 1911 than my 6lock 21. I like my Glock a lot, and love the .45acp round.
I like the stopping power of the 45, but I wantto go to the range more and like the idea of 9mm.
Want opinions on what to get and why, and show your work! lol.

always been a 45 guy, but recently changed to 9mm myself. mostly economics, but also, they've made so many advancements in ammo in recent years. i no longer feel undergunned with a 9.

you can get cheap .45 ammo if you look for it. Have you looked at Georgia arms, Cheaper than dirt and some other sites out there have it very reasonable per round.
It is all about what you want to shoot and what you shoot well. If you do not shoot your 21 well shoot your 9mm. It doesn't matter how powerful the round it if you are not hitting the target with it. I shoot a glock 20 and because of the recoil i tend to shoot slower than I did with my 9mm or Glock 21 45 auto. If you cannot shoot well with a gun you will not shoot it. I would love to argue about the ballistics but it has been done thousands of times. You can always make a 9mm deadlier it is hard to make a .45 more accessible and safer.

no don't please don't, go ahead who cares. leaves more 9mm for me really Glock 19 with like 15 rounds, mame and wound for half the cost

Shot placement is key to the knockdown factor. All handguns fall short in that department comparing to a rifle. The 9mm Luger Parabellum(for war) 9x19NATO has been in use since 1903, 2 world wars and remained the military and police standard all over the world. It performs well in the penetration and accuracy comparable with other modern era developments such as .40 and .357Sig. Was and still is used in the vast majority of sub-machine guns from MP40,MP5,Uzi to Colt M-16 variant in 9mm. The NATO round is the 123gr loaded to mil spec velocity, SAMI version of +P. The best performing rounds are in the 119gr to 158 subsonic. The not as good will be the 115 and lower and lighter loads which lack in penetration even though the muzzle velocity is quite impressive.
45 is an old and proven round. Face to face under 15yds engagements will do the job. A little slow to recover, limited mag capacity and limited penetration against car bodies and light barricades, limited in applications where speed and capacity is needed to suppress incoming fire from multiple assailants. Cost more and the ammo is hard to find and too expensive for constant and regular practice. My opinion.

Back
Top Bottom