• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Military sniper or civilian long range shooters ( who is better)

Sandybar

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
80   2
Reaction score
So I have been watching the us army sniper qualifying course in the history channel. And I'm not to impressed by the requirements to be a us army sniper. I know they are better at many other aspects is combat etc than civilians but on pure shooting accuracy I would put my money on a competition civilian long range shooter any day. Just my opinion. What so y'all think?

A civilian shooter would have access to additional things that may give an edge. Hand loaded ammo, more range time, more flexible range time, customization of their weapon, etc.

Then again... that military sniper may very well shoot his own gun, with his own hand loaded ammo, on leave or down time.

Too many factors to consider.

To answer the question though... At least one civilian long range shooter is better than at least one military sniper and vice versa

A civilian shooter would have access to additional things that may give an edge. Hand loaded ammo, more range time, more flexible range time, customization of their weapon, etc.

Then again... that military sniper may very well shoot his own gun, with his own hand loaded ammo, on leave or down time.

Too many factors to consider.
Also, another factor to consider is, putting a person in your sights is much different than a silhouette

Last edited:
There is much more to it than shooting. Stalking, concealment are just a couple of more. My BYL did a few tours in Afghanistan as a sniper. They shoot video on cell phones as well as targets at a great distance :p. That guys has more kills than the bubonic plague

Also, putting a person in your sights is much different than a silhouette

Moving targets are much harder than static ones. The military s nipers also have to identify, range and make the hit in a short time frame. They also may have to improvise a stable platform on the fly. That's a whole lot different than shooting a known course of fire.

I agree, MilSpec308. At nineteen it's a rush or so you think, then age settles and you remember and think on it. PTSD sucks! My bad, off subject.

Moving targets are much harder than static ones. The military s nipers also have to identify, range and make the hit in a short time frame. They also may have to improvise a stable platform on the fly. That's a whole lot different than shooting a known course of fire.
Exactly!

I agree, MilSpec308. At nineteen it's a rush or so you think, then age settles and you remember and think on it. PTSD sucks! My bad, off subject.
I have no military experience, but will always regard what you guys do/did as superior to anything that can be attempted by everyday guys like myself. Thank you for your service, keep your head up and know we all support you!

If an Isis flag pops up among a group of folks about 600 meters out, and two or three of them are holding AKs, and someone needs to make a shot(actually several), with a 15mph wind running from your 11:00-5:00 position, and you have about 5 or 6 seconds to make all of the shots with all players going into motion after the first shot, oh and it is around 7pm and raining in 34 degree weather. Who would you want behind the sights?

I want the one who has trained for or actually taken similar shots, be it a Civilian or Military trained long range shooter.

Long range shooting is a science just for the shooting part, and then there comes the concealment aspect, and also the putting up with the weather, bugs, stress, and surviving after the shots are fired 'cause your position has been compromised.

I would put my money on a military sniper if available or a Vet who was trained as a sniper.

I have no military experience, but will always regard what you guys do/did as superior to anything that can be attempted by everyday guys like myself. Thank you for your service, keep your head up and know we all support you!

What he said ^^^. thanks guys. I teach my kids that those who serve are real heros

Back
Top Bottom