• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mock Scrape

I'm going to try and make a mock scrape in front of one of my stands this weekend, does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

All help greatly appreciated.

Make sure there is a licking branch over top of it. There are some drippers that will warm up during the day and only drop scent when they get warm. That might help to keep the scent going without any real work or bringing your own scent back to it every time. It is pretty early for scrapes right now. I would wait until you start seeing fresh scrapes around your hunting property.

I would wait until October or as mentioned above, when you start seeing scrapes. The magnum dripper works great and you can but it with the golden scrape mix with it. I have had several bucks starting coming to it once established... or you can create your own. Dig a hole 3' long and about 3' wide. Put aluminum foil down and put any kind of mock scrape scent you want and cover it with dirt. The smell will stay there and not just dissipate when it rains or after a few days like most will.

I've seen scrapes as early as beginning of the season. Once antlers harden, bucks are on the prowl and establishing territory. I've gotten several nice bucks on cam at a mock scrape in Sept. before.

That's interesting. I haven't seen the early action myself, but I haven't tried it either. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom