• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

mosin restoration

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
rdered a gunsmith special mosin form classic figuring i needed a little challenge

the challenge is larger but it will be revived. the largest thing needed is a new stock. if only this thing could talk it must have seen some things.

it does have good looking rifling in the barrel with no pitting inside that can to be seen. the stock is gone so i removed it from the metal then put all the metal in bucket of oil. the bolt handle, barrel, magazine floorplate(force matched) and butt plate have matching numbers

i have most of the metal parts including rear sight needing replaced, it's a tula(mark on tang) 91/30 unknown year but refurb date seems to be 1950
IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

at the shop it got sand blasted after some oil soaking/hand sanding until the metal was bare
IMG_0430.JPG

some black cerakote afterletting it dry and cool down
IMG_0434.JPG

assembled it into the full metal portion of the rifle

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

parts salvaged
-bolt handle
-receiver
-barrel
-front barrel band
-rear of bolt
-firing pin with spring
-buttplate
-buttplate screws
-bolt head
-front sight
-magazine
-ejector, ejector spring with spring screw
-trigger with pin
-cleaning rod
-magazine plate
-all metal parts from the stock

replaced
-trigger sear/bolt block
-rear sight (much harder to replace then it looks)
-larger barrel band
-wood stock
-mil-surp sling

I've recommended these guys in the past..Deercreek Gun Shop in Marietta has two Mosin 91/30 stocks right now..one is prewar IIRC.
I've seen some rough Mosins in my time, but that beats them all. Out of curiosity, what arsenal/year is it?

I've recommended these guys in the past..Deercreek Gun Shop in Marietta has two Mosin 91/30 stocks right now..one is prewar IIRC.
I've seen some rough Mosins in my time, but that beats them all. Out of curiosity, what arsenal/year is it?
the year garbled somewhere inside the heavy pitting, the finish was nice pre-rust so id say pre-1942 but post 1934(round receiver), the refurb date could be 1950

it would have had a original year with a refurb year added by the ukrainian refurb factory

new stock arrived and fitted (was a bit too big in the rear stock for the metal to go into). salvaged the metal parts from the stock with some effort so as to remain original some
only replaced
-stock (rotted)
-cleaning rod (lost the original that was cerakoted)
-trigger sear (was in three pieces)
-large barrel band
from
IMG_0422.JPG

to

IMG_E0448.JPG

with some custom stippling
IMG_E0450.JPG

Back
Top Bottom