• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most Dangerous Man

1gunsnotenough

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
260   1
Reaction score
Found this interesting.
I have a friend that open carries and fits the description in his last comments. I told my friend once that if we were somewhere and a situation arose he would be the first target. And while they were engaging him they would not notice me. And hopefully it would end there.

Opinions, opinions...
Dumb argument that has been hashed out numerous times on numerous forums....it's just like Glock Vs 1911.
If this was true and factual, cops would all be in civilian attire and would conceal carry.
Just how many documented instances are there where cops or open carriers have been targeted so the criminal could continue on with their intended crime?

Video is not on open carry. It's about judging people. The open carry was just a small part of it. Just added my example as video commented on what I previously told my friend.

You're right, it wasn't on open carry...it was his argument and point as to why he conceal carries. Again, it is just an opinion on preference of carry. Again...how many people have been judged because they were open carrying and then became the first target? Where is this proven?

I don’t know that there have been enough instances, statistically, to justify an argument one way or the other regarding an open carrier versus a concealed carrier being targeted in a crime. A relatively small number of people actually carry regularly. Yes, many claim to, but then don’t bother with it in a lot of instances. The “I’m just gonna run down the road to the gas station” argument comes into play here. Even in my area, where guns are almost a natural attachment to most of the citizens, you’ll often find that someone thinks “having one in the truck” is good enough. It’s the same with some people I work with. I, along with a couple of others, carry without fail wherever we go, but many of the “gun guys” will admit they are only armed now and again. One of them even told me he doesn’t carry because the pistol pulls his gym shorts down! That being said, there may be a much larger number of people with weapons permits (but no weapon) that fall victim to these acts of violence. If everyone could predict when a crime was going to happen and armed themselves accordingly, we wouldn’t have crime-it could be prevented before it ever took place by simple calling the police, thus negating the need for concealed (or open) carry in the first place.

Speaking of police, uniformed officers are targeted by violent criminals perhaps more than any other group of people. Some of them may be because of violent rhetoric or simple hatred, but there are surely instances where an insane person with sick plans to kill and maim targets the officer first to “eliminate the threat”. This could translate into the civilian world. If a smart criminal (yes, smart criminals exist, despite our tendency to classify them all as stupid) walks into an establishment and assesses his surroundings before acting, someone displaying a weapon which could be used against them would be first and foremost in their mind if they were to carry out whatever nefarious deed they had originally planned. You could argue that the open carry would, in fact, discourage the deviant from proceeding with the crime, but that’s a gamble I’ll politely shy away from.

I’ve carried concealed since 21 and I have no intention of changing that. To my knowledge, the only person who has ever noticed the gun in my waistband was the terrified young snowflake standing in line behind me at a gas station when a very large wannabe-gangster in front of me thought it would be funny to proclaim that he was robbing the place before he and his friends starting laughing. In that time, I had slowly and quietly pulled a compact 1911 and was holding it slightly behind my back. When I realized what was happening, a wave of relief hit me and I slipped the pistol back into the holster and turned to see the aforementioned snowflake with wide eyes, an open mouth, and pale skin. We made eye contact, and as I shrugged it off he just continued to stare with mouth open. That night, at least, I was the most dangerous man in the room. Not because I may or may not have been superior in any one facet of confrontation, but because I could have neutralized the threat before he ever even knew I was a threat to him.

I understand both sides of the argument, but I would rather be up against someone I could see and identify, rather than trying to pick out one disguised threat in a room full of people.

You're right, it wasn't on open carry...it was his argument and point as to why he conceal carries. Again, it is just an opinion on preference of carry. Again...how many people have been judged because they were open carrying and then became the first target? Where is this proven?

Irregardless of the point you are trying to make,

1. Most people discussing this aren't LEO.
2. A Visible firearm draws attention to the Open Carrier.

I remember 2 guys last night while I was out to eat with my wife.

1 of them had a LCP in a Uncle Mike's looking soft pouch holster.

Another had a G26/27 in a plastic retention holster.

I don't remember any other guy at that restaurant, & I assure you, I saw everyone in there while I was there.

The 1st rule of self defense is to have a gun & be able to use it to the best of your ability.

The 2nd rule of self defense is to withdraw if needed, depending on the situation: the option to withdraw becomes exponentially more difficult when someone targets you because they see you as a threat.

What do I mean?
If something was going down, my 1st order of business would differ depending on who was with me: my family/children? Move them away from the threat, because that is my 1st job.

Consider that a little over a week ago two prisoners being transported on the prison bus attacked and overpowered two armed correctional officers, disarmed them, and shot them to death with their own department -issued weapons.

Obviously not all criminals are afraid to go up against an armed person and try to get that gun before the good guy has a chance to use it.

Back
Top Bottom