Motorcycle exhaust advise needed.

svjarvis

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   1
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Vstar 1100 midnight edition and I'm looking for new pipes. I'd like something shorter than what I have and they'd need to black. Any ideas?

image.jpg

Haven't really been ito the cruiser scene but have you looked at the possibilities from places like dennis kirk and the like to narrow down a few sets you like? your probly gonna get as many answers as there are members.

I've always been partial to Vance and Hines. I like to find scrapped up chrome ones, scratch them up some more, apply a coat of high temp grill paint, then wrap in black exhaust wrap.

Are you going for looks or performance?. The pipes you have now would be your best bet for performance. A good 2 into 1 like you have is better for exhaust scavenging and velocity. And is tuned for the length of the pipe. If looks are what your going for then a nice duel equil length pipe would do well. V & h has a good selection. And the big radius is a shorter 2 into 1 the sweeps downward . Check j & p cycles , dennis kirk, tucker rocky. And the likes.good luck in your search

Last edited:
Here's an old set of V&H Short Shots I did:
Pipes
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Pipes_1.jpg

Scratches on shields
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Pipes_2.jpg

Dent at corner of lower shield
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Pipes_3.jpg

Heat Wrap soaking in old cooler
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134MVC_001F.JPG

www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134MVC_002F.JPG

While the wrap soaked, the pipes were hung up to get a coat of high temp grill paint
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Pipes_Painted_4.jpg

www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Pipes_Painted_5.jpg

www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Pipes_Painted_6.jpg

All done painting and now drying in the sun
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134MVC_003F.JPG

All wrapped up
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Wrapped_Pipes_2.jpg

This is how I held the ends in place while the wrap dried. I then replaced the tie wraps with metal clamps.
www.chopperweb.info_gallery_data_603_3134Pipes_Ends.jpg

This was roughly 9 or 10 years ago but I think I paid like $35 for the pipes off eBay and then another $10 or so for the paint and wrap.

Back
Top Bottom