• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mountain Bikers?

I would recommend a bike shop, not a dept store. Free Flight in Marietta has been there for over 40 years and they have some crazy nice stuff. They have stuff in the $500-$600 starter range that will be put together and set up by actual techs who know what they’re doing. Not some dept store kid who gets paid $10/hr and doesn’t give a crap. Plus they will maintain it for you and find the right fit for you. This will be true of most actual bike shops.

$500-$600 is super inexpensive in the mountain bike world.

Decide your budget.

Next most important thing is frame size - you need the bike to fit you.

Find a used bike that fits your needs. Lots of bikes were purchased during pandemic and I'm going to assume a number of them are collecting dust and taking up space.

Bottom line is you get a nicer used bike for the same amount of money as a new bike. Bike repairs/tune-ups are cheap so don't be afraid of used.

FB MarketPlace would be a good place to start.

I'm not a MB'er but my son is and has been employed wrenching on bikes since he was 15 and he's now a sophomore in college and still an enthusiast.

Great place to ride relatively near you is Blanket's Creek.

Blankets+Map+062318.JPG

They have beginners' trails - see map above.

And advanced trails. Video below:

Oh, and DON'T FORGET YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT! No such thing as a safety nerd. Always wear a helmet at the minimum.

Great sport. It's funny how we all loved bikes as kids. Then as an adult you get on a bike and your troubles seem a little further away...

Good luck!

Yes, for many years. Hayata gave you some excellent advice. Visit all your local shops, visit your local trails, hold off on spending a ton of $ until you know exactly what you want or need, get a used bike first. Facebook marketplace and local shops have lots of used bikes. Have fun, stay off the advanced trails for now.

Having ridden 26 inch wheel Mtn bikes for decades I got a new bike Last Week. The 29in wheels really roll through rough stuff much better. Choose one with a
Single front sprocket. Eliminates chain slap and smoother shifting. I got mine at Cartersville Bicycle Service and Supply. They will a service and adjust for lifetime. If going new last years models will be cheaper.

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 4
We use to have a member here who was a KHS sales rep, can’t remember his name, but would have some great deals on demo bikes.

Back
Top Bottom