multitools!

I never need pliers enough to warrant carrying a MT so I just carry one of these and love it as it has what I actually use.

couteaux_du_soldat_suisse.ch_J01_images_photos_site_autres_coud68b1a8edcaafcb2773217b409029244.png

20150515_190434.jpg
I put a nail in the vice, bent it a few times, sawed the head half off and clipped it the rest of the way off with the wire cutter. Here's a pic.

I never need pliers enough to warrant carrying a MT so I just carry one of these and love it as it has what I actually use.

couteaux_du_soldat_suisse.ch_J01_images_photos_site_autres_coud68b1a8edcaafcb2773217b409029244.png

Oh come on geaux! Youre halfway. just get a lm wave And Youll never regret it.

Funny story about my wave.
i was at dicks sporting goods at the mall woth my brother.... he was buying some stuff for his bow and i looked at the end cap and in the plastics were lm wavesarked 3999.
i didnt believe it. Read the bar code and sure enough...it was right.
Rang it up... 8999. I told the lady that they were marked 40. She went and checked and honored the price. They fixed it quickly

Anyway it came with the 2 bit sets and a flashlight and sheath! Score

Ive had dozens of multi tools over the years. Gerbers, leathermans, craftsman swiss army etc. Most were big and bulky and tools were half assed. Decided to try and find the perfect (for me) multi tool. What tools I wanted, what tools I didnt need.

The list of needed tools, ended up being pretty short. 1 good set of pliers, 1 good blade and a bit driver that uses standard, run of the mill 1/4" bits. Tools with built in screwdrivers were out because I always seem to mess up the bit. Tools with proprietary bits (think leatherman and their special bits) were out. Didnt need a file or 3" saw blade. Didnt need a bottle opener or an awl. Tweezers and toothpick were on the dont need list as well.

I finally found the right tool for me. A CRKT Zilla tool. Nice set of pliers, sharp blade and a driver that uses 1/4" bits. Been using this thing for years now and never disappointed. Needle nose pliers line up correctly and have never misaligned. The blade doesnt get used too much because I usually have at least one pocket knife on me, but the few times I have used it, no complaints. The bit driver though, thats what sold me. Its on the end of the tool, easy to use bit with. When folded closed, its a pretty slim design, but if I had to point out a flaw, its the overall length at 6.5".
9065K_xlarge_221.jpeg

Leatherman OHT
Leatherman Raptor

I have a wave but it lives in my truck so I don't have a picture of it. Its from the first generation of them, I've had it for over 10 years

20150517_190315.jpg

Had one of the older Gerber but had blunt nosed pliers. I loved that thing, somebody loved it better I guess .....it's been missing for a few years. But good story for the multi tool;

I went fishing one day in my John boat, with 8hp Ted Williams outboard from 1960 something.....hit a log in lake Weiss and sheared the prop pin. I was in Center,ALA... In the middle of the lake...crappie were tearing up everything you threw at em. I did not want to leave!!
Well, I ended up trolling over to an old dock, got my Gerber multi tool out, pulled a nail out of the dock with the pliers, cut it to fit the pin hole length with wire cutters, then filed it to fit perfect with a little snugness! If it weren't for that Gerber and the other set of small channel lock pliers I had ( to take off the prop nut with) I am sure I would not have made it to the ramp with my trolling motor batt. I ended up fishing the rest of the day!! That nail stayed in that prop until I,sold the boat 5 yrs later!! Probably still there, if the motor still working!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom