• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Musical Instruments

Yes Sir, Logic is a good program. I'm partial to Ableton and Pro tools, but Logic is absolutely capable.

I see you have acoustic drums. It is a headache to record drums but if you have the proper mics and audio interface to connect them, it'll be much easier. I recommend electronic drum kits for those new to recording. One simple USB cord and you're in business. Plus there's THOUSANDS of drumkits at your disposable so it drives creativity. I have 2 electronic kits myself.

For learning drums, I recommend drumless tracks to play along with. The best are songs you already know by heart. You can search for more on Youtube, but here's a good place to start:

Great info!!! Thank you. I found some funk drum backing tracks on Apple Music last night that I was drumming to. Pretty fun. I find that drumming with head phones on really helps me focus and keep time. To the mics…. Here are the two I have….

140D62ED-1C40-4438-B799-4697C73F12DB.jpeg
C122A806-843C-4FF3-AEB3-AB3E360F72CB.jpeg

Not sure, but maybe the V87 Condenser will record drums better. Haven’t even hooked them up yet. The wife wanted electronic, but I had to have a gigantic, bulky full acoustic set. Lol. I’ll possibly get the other someday. I guess it’s the feel and noise making I like.

Everything is in the bonus room. I’m probably going to do a little foam padding in a few spots. Maybe that will help out.

You got skills man! Green Light , that’s some smooth listening.

Thank you, Sir. That's actually her first time recording, so I've been coaching her through development. Her Aunt and Uncle are celebrity Artists that I built a studio for and that's how we met. Talent definitely runs in their family.

Great info!!! Thank you. I found some funk drum backing tracks on Apple Music last night that I was drumming to. Pretty fun. I find that drumming with head phones on really helps me focus and keep time. To the mics…. Here are the two I have….

View attachment 3825696View attachment 3825707
Not sure, but maybe the V87 Condenser will record drums better. Haven’t even hooked them up yet. The wife wanted electronic, but I had to have a gigantic, bulky full acoustic set. Lol. I’ll possibly get the other someday. I guess it’s the feel and noise making I like.

Everything is in the bonus room. I’m probably going to do a little foam padding in a few spots. Maybe that will help out.

The V87 is pretty solid for recording drums. Place it on a stand about 3ft in front of your kit, at a height of 5ft, with the reflection filter on it. That will allow the mic to pick up the cymbal accents and toms without being drowned out by the kick drum, and reduces the reflection of sounds around the room. The ideal mic setup for drums are 2 condensers overhead and a kick mic.

If you want to go the full mic route, here's a phenomenal kit that doesn't cost a ton: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Piece...l-instruments&sprefix=neewer+dru,mi,53&sr=1-3

Make sure you used "shielded cables" with mics. They prevent electronic interference. Studios mic will pick up things like the electricity humming in the walls.

If I'm not mistaken, that is a Blue Yeti X mic which is great all around. You can use it for acoustic guitars, guitar amps, vocals, hand percussion, etc.

It also has changeable polar patterns, such as Cardioid, Figure 8, omni-directional, or stereo. You'll want use Cardioid for almost everything related to music. That's a VERY important setting to ensure you get good audio.

Another tip for anyone recording; get a Reflection Filter and Pop filter.

The Refection Filter prevents your mic from picking up sounds that reflect off of walls and ceilings. You can get different sizes for different applications, such as guitar amps or vocals.

The Pop filter tames those hard syllables, such as words that have P and S in them.

Here's a couple I've used or have:

Back
Top Bottom