• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Musket lock - hammer screw removal

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
Need some advice please. I need to remove the sear tumbler from a musket lock and I can't shift the large external screw that holds the hammer to the sear tumbler. I tried Kroil, a little heat, freeze off.

One of the challenges is the screw slot is very long but narrow, so I can only get a small screwdriver to fit.

Also locked it all down in a drill press, hand turning a screwdriver bit in the screw sheared the bit easily.

Any other quick tricks of the trade I can try ? It's starting to annoy me, and that's when I usually foul things up !

Last edited:
If you have a bench grinder, grind a wide screwdriver down to fit the slot. As an alternate to this if you have a price of steel that is 4-5 inches long you can grind one edge, toward the end, to fit the slot, you can get a good bit of leverage this way, just make sure it fits the slot well or you will bugger it up. Definitely soak overnight in Kroil and be patient. A quick hard tap will free a frozen bolt better than steady pressure. Is this an original or reproduction?

It's a repro, and I was wondering about the thread being rh or lh. I have a tumbler on order, I suspect I should be patient and check the thread on that.

I don't have a grinder or spare stock to make a tool, but looks like I may need something ! Just such a narrow slot none my quality hollow ground drivers, (of a decent size), will fit.

Patience, patience......

Well, it was a standard rh thread. I ended up using, (and trashing), a chisel pointed divers knife, good thickness, or thinness and right width . I clamped the lock in a machine vice, then used a drill press locked on the top of the knife pommel to stop the blade rising out of the slot while turning the blade with an adjustable wrench, it was TIGHT.

Back
Top Bottom