Muzzle loader situation !

1911guy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
I was recently given a side-lock 50 cal muzzle loader that was loaded at the beginning of last deer season and not fired. It was placed in a closet since then and I took it about 3 weeks ago and tried to fire it.

After 4 caps it was obvious it would not fire. I removed the primer nipple and the hole is clear. I figure the powder under the nipple was probable exposed to some humidity, and also no powder was visible under nipple like it usually is. I loaded this rifle for him last year so I know it was loaded with the proper charge.

Advice on clearing the barrel would be appreciated. Never had to face this before, but I would like to make this rifle usable again, because it was mine 20 years ago, and if I can get it functional again I can have it back.

I've never used one of those screw type ball pullers but hear they are a pain to use.

Take the nipple off and the screw out and use a pick or small stiff wire to run up inside it .....
Pour a tadd of powder in there and put the cleaned nipple back on and pop a couple caps until it fires....

Also ....sometimes compressed air will push the bullet out ...

If this dont work than get a ball puller .....

Got it out with the air compressor. At first it would move the ball about 2 or 3 inches, so I sprayed WD-40 in it then it popped right out ! Thanks again, didn't think of using air.

Back
Top Bottom