• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Muzzle loaders... not the kind for hunting

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a muzzle loader. I always liked the Hwken because of Jeremiah Johnson so I've considered them, but a friend had a repro 1853 enfield cavalry carbine that was 58 cal. It was pretty cool and he'd load the occasional 500gr/ 100gr. Powder and it was like an artillery piece.

Is there any4hing that stands iut as a must have in the muzzle loader range?

I'd want to stick with percussion for simplicity sake and 50 cal at a minimum.

This would be more for the fun of shooting them.

I've been thinking about a muzzle loader. I always liked the Hwken because of Jeremiah Johnson so I've considered them, but a friend had a repro 1853 enfield cavalry carbine that was 58 cal. It was pretty cool and he'd load the occasional 500gr/ 100gr. Powder and it was like an artillery piece.

I love my T/C Hawken .50. Killed a number of deer with it. I'll be letting it go in a few weeks if you're interested. Also have a Hawken .45 Flintlock kit (kinda rare) that I never finished that I'll also be selling. Just don't have time or a place to shoot anymore. Fun rifles!

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

-Hawkens are nice for hunting and most have good sights on them. Kind of short LOP though…maybe consider a full-stock instead. The Pedersoli kentucky is longer yet still light.

-Civil War era replicas are excellent shooters and you can use a bayonet too. Lead can get pricey. The Remington Zouave is a very nice shooting .58 caliber 2-band rifle

-“Fowlers” are smoothbore and seem to be the best of both worlds

-Civil War-era originals are in a class by themselves if you can find a good one. They’re around but usually aren’t cheap. The best would be the 1861 type 2 Springfield….incredibly smooth .58 shooter

-Don’t forget cannon :)

Just my thoughts……. :thumb:

When I started typing the post, my autofill suggested "blackpowder cannon" from a precious search. A Mountain howitzer has been a pipedream.

I googled and saw some enfields for sale, both original and repro. Just don't know which repros are good.

My buddy shot a deer with his muskatoon and the exit wound was substantial. Like bigger than fist sized.

His was like this

He was cavalry in the army so I get the draw.

Took my first deer with a Hawken muzzle loader. I guess my favorites are the Civil War replicas and the modern bolt actions. The Remington 700 ML comes to mind. They don't make them anymore. Also always wanted a single shot in 50 cal. pistol. They may make them in larger cals as well.

Muzzle loading is like 18 holes with no cart and no caddy. To collect or own it and hang on the wall skys the limit. To hunt or shoot for fun a modern or repro that fits you is the way to go less money more fun. A time comittment to learning the MOA and maintenance (substantial) is critical. It can be a great team building activity. I had a great time building several muzzle loaders a matchlock 3 flintlocks and a bunch of percussion cap rifles with my Dad learning about rifles then hunting with them. Most modern muzzle loading rifles are more fun to shoot and clean. Thompson CVA Hawken Dixie Gun Works are AWESOME. Then again there is nothing quite like a cannon (I almost ordered one from Midway USA). I like tinkering and building so kits have been my choice mostly (not for everyone) but i would definitely hunt with my factory CVA

Back
Top Bottom