my 17 year old son

Bought a $20 Bluetooth car hands free speaker from amazon. Took the receipt and device to court and they asked everyone before it started if anyone had a hands free violation. Signed a paper and I was done, no points, no fine. Can only do that once though.

Was this in Jefferson or the rent-a-cops in Arcade?

It’s funny how selectively this is enforced. I see folks in Athens doing this, running red lights, or worse in Athens in front of cops without so much as a second look.
Jefferson and Arcade cops are straight D****

Close.....real close...…..

I want to thank everyone for their input as I have now determined a proper course of action. Hope it all works out.

And yes, just got through giving him the "full sermon on the mount" again...…

Thanks again everyone

Interesting, just read into it some more. So question then - does this apply to commercial motor vehicles? I see lots of cell phone related violations on motor vehicle reports as I work in the insurance industry & have never heard of this. All of the reports I review are for CMV use.. so this is good info moving forward if it can be applied to CMV violations.

Good question, and one you’ll get a different answer from each individual court jurisdiction. With the CMV inspection report, you’re dealing with the FMCSA relating to the carrier’s safety rating (which affects carrier insurance rates). Enough of the bad violations on inspection reports, it may encourage a visit from the FMCSA in the form of an audit. The Feds apply their own fines based on their audit results. The State has its own Safety Audit section that deals with carriers that are showing as operating unsafe, but the State’s fine amounts are way less than what the Feds charge. Neither State nor Fed audits relate to any traffic citation issued to a CMV operator.

The State and County courts each have their own motivations for CMV fines for traffic citations. It’s unbelievable some of the charge amounts when compared to the same infraction with a personal vehicle. I remember one County in Georgia that used to charge $265 for a CMV seat belt violation. That was back when the old Tom Murphy “no seat belt in trucks” consideration was in effect. Tom Murphy’s exemption never applied to CMVs. The CMV seat belt law was always valid due to the FMCSA regulation in place.

John Q Public, traveling the roads gets cited according to fines set by the Court. CMV drivers get traffic citations according to Court set fines also. They’re just usually from a CMV specific fine chart. Why the difference? John Q is using his driving privilege and screws up, gets stopped and receives his award for his efforts. The CMV driver is on his job; he is a PROFESSIONAL driver and is held to a higher standard because of his skills and qualifications as a driver, the drastic differences in operating an 80k pound vehicle versus driving his personal grocery getter when he’s off the clock.

It’s up to the Judge whether any “first offender” consideration will be afforded a CMV operator for distracted driving. I imagine it would be a pretty rare occurrence, though.

Apologies for the long dissertation……

Got caught with the phone in my hand when my bluetooth headset died. Went to court and there were a couple of cases ahead of me where the judge dismissed the cases with a warning for 1st time offenders that provided proof of purchasing a handsfree device or showing the device to the judge. I followed the protocol and pleaded NOLO.
Pled nolo in 1988. I was told that was it. Is there another, might need it someday

If you have proof you purchased they will drop it. Happened to me for checking my phone sitting still at a red light . Also if it’s his first offense he can plead nolo and it will drop as well

Please do not even begin to consider letting him plead nolo to a minor traffic offense.

The point goes away in three years, and it's a non-event if he doesn't collect any more

Yea, for us non-LEO peasants.
forreal, **** the double standard, I see cops talking on the phone and looking at them all the time while driving. I don't care that they do, I figured the heat had blown over since this law had passed but I guess not. I wouldn't chastise him too much, my neighbors kid is 19 and just got arrested for marijuana poss. (the devils bush)

Just so everyone knows, you can drive in Lee County and Dougherty County and use your phone all you want. No one gets stopped,
Just saw a gal ride by a Lee Co. deputy running radar, in her pickup with the phone in front of her face, no problem.You folks way up there have it tough...lol

Back
Top Bottom