• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Buddy and I have not seen this before

Sigo

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
Hey ODT! I'm fairly new to hunting, but my buddy has been hunting since he was a kid. I took a nice doe yesterday and while dressing her, we saw something we have not seen before. She had a 1/2 inch layer of fat over much of her body. We hunt in Wilkes, so this is the first year we could bait. Our food plots are better than previous years (no thanks to the hogs) and our acorn drop was pretty darn heavy (probably why we had more hogs). ANYway... Did anyone else have this? Any of you old timers have an idea why this is?

I’ve killed some mature deer in Macon County and Taylor County that were covered in a layer of fat like what you have described. They looked white when skinned out. Down there the deer had a lot of corn, soybeans and peanuts to feed on. If you don’t have mast crops nearby you must be doing something right.

Hey ODT! I'm fairly new to hunting, but my buddy has been hunting since he was a kid. I took a nice doe yesterday and while dressing her, we saw something we have not seen before. She had a 1/2 inch layer of fat over much of her body. We hunt in Wilkes, so this is the first year we could bait. Our food plots are better than previous years (no thanks to the hogs) and our acorn drop was pretty darn heavy (probably why we had more hogs). ANYway... Did anyone else have this? Any of you old timers have an idea why this is?
In addition note how late the browse stayed green this year. The woods were green longer than I can ever remember. They naturally eat more in the fall to try and fatten up for the winter. The buffet was unusually long this year.

I've seen it in the past as well. Saw one being cleaned at the processor a few years back and the fat layer was an off yellow tint. Shocked us all so they did some "exploratory surgery" and she was full of corn and not much else. All we could figure was the constant diet of nothing but corn effected the color of the fat as well. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself, so no hard feelings if yall don't either...LOL!

Back
Top Bottom