• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My cat is an asshole

You may ask your Vet about some pheromone therapy, I believe its called Feliway. Anyway its Pheromone, externally excreted hormone that cats excrete when they are happy and all is right with the world. it used to come with a plug in or diffuser to aerosolize the pheromone, sprays you use when ever. you know when a cat rubs his face on your pant leg or arm they are spreading that facial pheromone on you because they are happy and you are theirs, everything is right with their world. You may also want to add some cat nip sometimes the cat nip in combination with the pheromone products work. The pheromone products take a little time to work and they are not cheap but that's what I would try. If you see blood or anything like that then he needs to be seen could be an infection or FLUTD[feline lower urinary tract disease] the old name was FUS[feline urologic syndrome]. When the word syndrome is added it means we don't know what causes it or how to cure it but we will try to manage it by truing all kinds of things that may or may not help for instance, antibiotics, anti anxiety meds, pain meds, Pheromones, try a bigger litter box w/ more litter. In one study that appeared to be the reason most cats started urinating outside the box was they wanted a bigger deeper box w/more litter material. Maybe something I have suggested will help

Have you checked his diet with the vet? Some foods mess with their body chemistry. I quit feeding my female cat Purina Naturals as her urine would reek in the litter box. I now feed her Iams. I also quit using compact litter boxes and made her one from a large storage container with high sides which I keep on a washing machine tray. I removed the top which she seems to prefer. Anything to minimize stresses for her and for me. If I get stressed out, she picks up on it.

I went through considerable cat litter and found that she seems to prefer the Arm & Hammer. I buy the 40 lbs. box labeled for multi-cat since it has lots of odor suppression. And I keep a spray bottle of 50:50 vinegar and water should anything leave the box via the cat.
https://catinfo.org/the-litter-box-from-your-cats-point-of-view/
New Tall Cat Litter Box.jpg

Rubbermaid Storage Container for Litter Box.jpg

You may ask your Vet about some pheromone therapy, I believe its called Feliway. Anyway its Pheromone, externally excreted hormone that cats excrete when they are happy and all is right with the world. it used to come with a plug in or diffuser to aerosolize the pheromone, sprays you use when ever. you know when a cat rubs his face on your pant leg or arm they are spreading that facial pheromone on you because they are happy and you are theirs, everything is right with their world. You may also want to add some cat nip sometimes the cat nip in combination with the pheromone products work. The pheromone products take a little time to work and they are not cheap but that's what I would try. If you see blood or anything like that then he needs to be seen could be an infection or FLUTD[feline lower urinary tract disease] the old name was FUS[feline urologic syndrome]. When the word syndrome is added it means we don't know what causes it or how to cure it but we will try to manage it by truing all kinds of things that may or may not help for instance, antibiotics, anti anxiety meds, pain meds, Pheromones, try a bigger litter box w/ more litter. In one study that appeared to be the reason most cats started urinating outside the box was they wanted a bigger deeper box w/more litter material. Maybe something I have suggested will help

pheromones no worky for my daughter’s cats. Think her male had uti issues as well.
She also learned about the change of litter brands. Both cats would go to the box, sniff, and do their business on the floor next to it. She had to hunt down and return to the original.
I learned long ago to mix different brands and textures from day one so the cats don’t get locked into a specific litter. Cats hate any change in environment.
We have two older female cats. A couple of years back, the younger one began attacking the older as she slept. We also began finding small spots of urine where the older one had slept. Off to the vet to check bladder/kidneys. Nope, all OK.
Problem continues. Back to vet. Nada, healthy cat.
So after multiple Vet trips and hundreds of dollars (and also three comforters replaced), we catch the younger one squatting and marking where the older had just vacated. Ah ha!
So now that she has been outed, behavior escalates. Begins spotting on my $650 custom ottoman. OK, wife had previously made a cover for it, so no biggy.
Then one sunny day, while the cover was in the washer, bad kitty does a complete full bladder dump on the piece. No cleaning that, out to the trash it goes.
Bad kitty gets Herself, her food and water bowls and personal litter box moved to the basement. Problems solved.
Other than the inconvenience of multiple food/water/litter containers all is well.
Except basement kitty has not seen sunlight in about 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom