• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My clutch won't disengage.

And check the fluid
Some cars take brake fluid
Some cars use a proprietary fluid only avail at the dealer
Jeep is one of the dealer only clutch fluid cars

Your slave cylinder isn't necessary leaking per say where the fluid is leaking out and running onto the ground. More than likely it is "bypassing" internally. Instead of compressing the fluid to push the rod going from the slave cylinder to the clutch / pressure plate / throw out bearing, it is bypassing around the rubber seals inside the slave cylinder and not pressurizing. Like everyone has said, replace the slave cylinder. One note though, when you take the lines loose from it, air is going to get inside, plus the new cylinder will have air in it naturally because it has no fluid in it. You will have to pump the pedal and hold it to the floor to bleed the air out of the slave cylinder by loosening the bleader fitting located on the side of the cylinder. This will require the help from someone. Basically the same as bleeding your brakes. Good Luck, theres really nothing to it. On some models the slave cylinder is located inside the bell housing, some are located outside the bell housing. The ones that are inside the bell housing, some require removal of the transmission to get to it and others have an access plate.

Last edited:
Changed a few out on early 90s fords. Those are the great ones where you have to take the transmission out. I always went ahead and changed the clutch at that point since I had it apart.

Changed a few out on early 90s fords. Those are the great ones where you have to take the transmission out. I always went ahead and changed the clutch at that point since I had it apart.

Smart move.

Yeah especially those Ranger trucks. The slave on those was a pain to bleed the air out of too.

A clutch slave cylinder is a royal pain in the backside to bleed the air out of. I have changed dozens of them and sometimes spend more time bleeding the air than changing the slave. They are prone to hold air pockets in them. Keep pumping and bleeding.

Glad you got it figured and fixed. I was going to add that you should learn to shift sans clutch. It can be a handy tool, and is the way older cars shifted anyway. The clutch was only used for starting and stopping. I don't ever use the clutch anymore except when coming to a stop to take off again, all my shifting is done sans clutch and I can do it much smoother than I ever did with a clutch. Of course it is much easier on a truck transmission than on a FWD car with linkage from the shifter to the transmission.

Back
Top Bottom