My Congressman's response to my 2nd Amendment email

captdave77

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The ODT's official HVAC guy
109   0
Reaction score
January 17, 2013

Dear CaptDave77,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding a federal assault weapons ban. It is good to hear from you.

First, let me say that the loss of innocent lives in the recent Connecticut shooting is a great tragedy and the actions of the shooter are reprehensible. As a father of three school-aged children, it is particularly painful to think about what the parents of the victims are going through.

In light of these horrific events, many have discussed legislative measures to address gun control, including a reinstatement of a federal assault weapons ban. As you may know, in 1994, Congress imposed a ten year ban on the possession, transfer, or manufacture of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices that are capable of holding more than 10 rounds that were not legally produced or possessed prior to September 13, 1994—the date of enactment. In 2004, the weapons ban expired, and while there has been legislation since then introduced both in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate to reintroduce the weapons ban, none such bills have passed.

Furthermore, President Obama has stated that part of the solution to gun violence "is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced." As the elected leader of our nation, sworn to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, I find it unsettling for the president to so brazenly state that he would be in favor of limiting those constitutionally protected rights of our citizens. What's more is that Vice President Joe Biden stated on January 9, 2013 that the White House is considering using executive orders to implement new gun control measures. I believe that when the p resident's policies cannot pass Congress, it means the American people have rejected them. A White House order for new gun controls would be in clear defiance of the will of the people and our democratic process. As a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, I reject this threat from the White House and would support legislation to repeal any executive order that infringes on our right to keep and bear arms

Like you, I have concerns with any legislation that seeks to address crime not through punishing criminals, but through taking away the Second Amendment rights of law abiding gun owners in the 14th District and elsewhere. As a firearm owner myself, I am a strong advocate for gun owners across America. I assure you that as long as I have the privilege of serving you in Congress, I will not support executive actions or legislation that violates or restricts Americans' right to own and carry firearms.

As an advocate for gun rights, you may be pleased to know that I am a co-sponsor of the Firearms Interstate Commerce Reform Act. H.R. 58 was introduced by Representative Steve Scalise on January 5, 2011 and would allow firearms dealers to sell or deliver any firearms to a resident in another state and would allow licensed dealers to conduct business at gun shows in other states. This bill has been referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a Member, and no hearings were held.

Additionally, I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. Introduced by Representative Cliff Stearns on February 18, 2011, this bill would provide a national standard for concealed carry permits in order to allow non-residents of a state to carry a concealed handgun, as long as they possess a valid concealed carry permit in another state. This bill is not to impede upon the states' right for determining their own concealed carry laws, nor does it apply to states that do not permit concealed firearms. This bill was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a Member, and a hearing was held on September 13, 2011.

During this hearing, David Kopel , a profes sor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, testified that "H.R. 822 is consistent with the letter and the spirit of the 10 th Amendment, and of principles of federalism." If you would like to read additional testimony or watch a video of this hearing, you can do so on the Committee's website www.judiciary.house.gov . As well, this bill passed in the U.S. House of Representatives, with my support, on November 16, 2011 by a vote of 272 – 154 . Unfortunately, these bills did not pass both chambers of Congress in the 112th Congress. Please rest assured, I will always support legislation that upholds each American's right to keep and bear arms, and should any legislation come before me regarding gun ownership in the 113th Congress, I will be certain to keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this important matter. Your input helps me to better serve you in the U.S. House of Representatives. If I can be of any further service, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Tom Graves
Member of Congress

Back
Top Bottom