My Octane 9: 300blk subs only. 357mag from my 77/357 is OK?

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
I have read this to be true. But does this make sense? I don't see a significant difference in ballistics between a supersonic 300blk and a hot 357 mag out of a carbine. Either they both are fine, or neither is fine. ??

I'm not planning on trying.

357 is fine, 300blk super isn't warranted.

As for differences, it really comes down to muzzle pressure, the 300blk still has it, the 357 doesn't. But I have often thought a 16" 300blk may bring muzzle pressure down enough, but I can;t find someone willing to run some quickload numbers for me to find out muzzle pressure of common loads.

Last edited:
I really confused me how a 44magnum has such little muzzle pressure @ 16", but the 300blk can have so much more, wish I knew the numbers on 300blk.

It really has to do with 2 factors. The first being the amount of powder. The 300 BO has about 20% more powder than a .44. The second, and most important has to do with Pascal's Law. The volume of the interior of a .44 mag barrel is quite a bit more than a .300 BO. So, as the bullet moves down the barrel the volume that the gases behind the bullet can expand into rises much more quickly in a .44 than a .300 and therefore the pressure drops quickly as well.

It really has to do with 2 factors. The first being the amount of powder. The 300 BO has about 20% more powder than a .44. The second, and most important has to do with Pascal's Law. The volume of the interior of a .44 mag barrel is quite a bit more than a .300 BO. So, as the bullet moves down the barrel the volume that the gases behind the bullet can expand into rises much more quickly in a .44 than a .300 and therefore the pressure drops quickly as well.
Yea I understand the science of case capacity and the open volume to fill, but the 44 drops down to a measly 500 psi at 16", a 5" 1911 is still rocking 5000psi, and suppressors like the octane are rated to shoot 10mm handguns as short as the Glock 29. I'd really need to see the 300BO muzzle pressure, but if a supersonic 150gr is still putting out more than say 9000psi, then I would be very surprised.

Back
Top Bottom