Need 2005 Freightliner Columbia's Detroit 60 series diesel engine rebuilt

Bump, so far a few shops have answered, but wont respond with a quote. It is like no one wants new business. I have called 8 shops and have yet to get a quote back :frusty:
They need to properly diagnose it before a proper quote can be given. If you intend to keep it my suggestion is take it to a reputable shop, allow them to take it down, evaluate the problem and advise you accordingly.

By Detroit, you mean an authorized shop?

I see Detroit referred me to shops I wont go near even if it was my last resort.

Can you send me info on what specific shop you use to use?

For Detroit work I use Williams DD in Atlanta . After having a bad independent shop experience , Factory shops are easier to deal with . Better warranty and better parts

Also we found using Shell extended life coolant reduced cavatation pitting in our fleet . It is not cheap , but over the long haul it is way cheaper than engines and heads . You spend money and do it right or you spend money and do it twice . You can go to Williams and buy a drop in series 60 and get all of the latest and greatest parts upgrades as well . Buying and unknown engine at Kerns is just that . I like Kerns but unless I need a core or an engine for a truck I am not keeping I go with an engine that will last and be reliable . Also you get more warranty and nationwide warranty service

They need to properly diagnose it before a proper quote can be given. If you intend to keep it my suggestion is take it to a reputable shop, allow them to take it down, evaluate the problem and advise you accordingly.
Our normal mechanic has been doing great, but at $14K, I have to get other quotes (I cannot get approval for that cost repair without seeing other options). A second opinion would be nice as well, but towing this thing all over the place is not going to help reduce costs.

I will call Williams DD as whiskerz whiskerz suggested. I am cautious of some of the DD recommendations, as 2 of them have the absolute worst service ever. Worst being that I had to use a rental for 3 weeks past when they said the truck I took up would be finished. I argued it for a week, and they finally split the rental costs from their excessive delays, so I am trying to avoid that repeat scenario with this.

Thankfully I have a back up rig, so I have a short period where I can get a second opinion this time.

Also we found using Shell extended life coolant reduced cavatation pitting in our fleet . It is not cheap , but over the long haul it is way cheaper than engines and heads . You spend money and do it right or you spend money and do it twice . You can go to Williams and buy a drop in series 60 and get all of the latest and greatest parts upgrades as well . Buying and unknown engine at Kerns is just that . I like Kerns but unless I need a core or an engine for a truck I am not keeping I go with an engine that will last and be reliable . Also you get more warranty and nationwide warranty service
I will definitely look into that coolant. Thanks for the heads up.

Ok, thanks for the info gentlemen. Got some other quotes finally. Not the news I wanted to hear, but better clarification on what I need to do now.

Note to self: become diesel mechanic, retire early.

Class 8 rigs are really cheap right now

Make sure you don't spend more then the truck is worth repairing the engine

I didn't have a spare truck
And even 15 years ago was loosing $700-1000 every day the truck wasn't in the road
So getting another engine in and back in the road ASAP was important
And kerns had I think a 90 day warranty
They had me back in the road in 3 days

BTW. Kerns has a chapter in the Millionaire next door
He's the one with the auto salvage yard
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom