• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a Gun or Ammo "safe" place, for free

RiverBend

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Proud Southern, Christian
362   0
Reaction score
A 20-30 minute fire resistant safe for guns, ammo valuables can be easily fashioned from a free, non working refrigerator. I prefer the double door style, large compartment for guns, smaller freezer section for ammo. On a sunny day, take door/doors off outside if possible, in a sunny area, or inside with space heater blowing directly inside, then sledgehammer/however the racks and shelves you won't need out. Accidentally/however breach the Freon line and leave out/in for a couple days to ensure all moisture is gone. Then to add more fire protection than the metal case/insulation can provide, line inside/or for more room the entire outside with gypsum board from Home Depot/Lowes and that should add another 20 minutes fire resistance to it. Then get original with a locking device, I like the simple cut proof log chain and pickproof, cut resistant/proof Master Lock, the rounded type that don't leave the throw bar exposed to cutting. Now, you have a safe with wheels/rollers that is lighter than 500 lbs, if it needs moving. Good ideas to secure it to floor/wall if in a room/space where it could be taken out and opened elsewhere. Ammo can be p-laced directly o9n shelves nor in ammo boxes for added protection. I have had 2 primarily as ammo safes and stored my reloads directly on shelves and some have been there 10 years, all still shoot the same as the day I loaded em and put em in the safe. No rust has been evident on metal inside, proof moisture was all gone and moisture wicking devices can also be added if doubt exists. Lights can be left intact to have a lighted safe box
42598677_10156001622503721_5388324450389196800_n (2).jpg
4F7F7D12-FC02-4A02-9562-20BEC4E13270 (5).jpg

definitely not, thus, "Accidentally/however breach the Freon line " this leaves any accidental cutting wrong line with bolt cutter or grinding the wrong line, accidental being the key word. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder sort of thing. I imagine all of us do things the EPA wouldn't approve of such as Krystal burger turd farts thinning the ozone layer.

I got a one that had leaked all the freon out and stripped the refrig system and taped up the holes and placed some pans of rice around to absorb moisture and then bolted big chains from sides and door and padlocked it. Just use it for ammo storage with ammo in metal ammo cans. Works really great.

Can you leave the ice dispenser hooked up and drop .22 or 9mm in the ice bin? Just walk by and stick your hand under to dispense ammo for a range session.
Just be careful with that rimfire. Might go off while dispensing! :rolleyes: .And don't use the crushed ice setting!

You can also use an old microwave as a smaller box. Handgun safe?

Back
Top Bottom