• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice on setting up a Jeep Cherokee for off road trips

Search in some sites for jeeps and Cherokees

Those are great vehicles
Inexpensive , and the straight six is a great engine .
Not a lot of horsepower for high speed but they are torque monsters , and with the automatic transmission , are great on non paved roads

You need the largest tire that will fit without any lift
I owned one years ago , a 90 model , but I don't remember the tire size
I think you can squeeze 31s on there if you do t mind them rubbing a little when the wheels are turned and you hit a bump

Mine had the transfer case that could select between 2hi , full time all wheel drive ,
4 hi, and 4 low
The full time all wheel drive was great in the rain and even on dry paved mountain roads , but we had problems with the transfer case wearing out.
And I don't think they used it too many years

A small lift is ok but I wouldn't go more than 2"

Depending on your budget you might want to consider a locking rear differential , that makes a world of difference , but I don't like the automatic lockers , I much prefer the selectable ones you can turn on or off,
A Locking diff and new tires will probably cost as much as you paid for the car

Might want to consider aftermarket bumpers that are not tin foil like the factory ones
And maybe a rear bumper with a swing out carrier for a full size spare and high lift jack

Maybe some decent tow hooks bolted to the frame
And I'd reccomend a couple 50 foot lengths of synthetic winch extension cable
It's as strong as metal cable but lighter than ski rope
And some short straps and clevis connectors

Unless you know it's been done recently
I'd look into replacing the radiator with a high quality aftermarket one
And the water pump with a high quality new , not rebuilt , pump , and replace the upper and lower hoses and all the heater hoses and the fan clutch with a high quality (not made in China and not in Mexico either if you can find a USA made one ) fan clutch

The cooling systems in all the jeeps is marginal when it's new and when it gets old they are not adequate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking about 31's and a 2-3" lift. Probably AT'sbecause I still need to drive it to where I'll be camping/hiking. I'll definitely look into the cooling system upgrade. It has a new radiator, but not sure what one they put on...

The new radiators they make for cherokees are plastic and hardly fit. The most common cooling problem on them is when rust scale builds up and creates blockages ,I believe in 2000 they had the biggest problem because of the 0331 head castings that would crack when overheated. I added an inline coolant filter and have yet to have any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about 31's and a 2-3" lift. Probably AT'sbecause I still need to drive it to where I'll be camping/hiking. I'll definitely look into the cooling system upgrade. It has a new radiator, but not sure what one they put on...

The BFG ATs are a nice tire

Getting a start...
Rubicon Express 3.5" lift, 31" KO2's, Unique 15x8 soft 8's w/3.5 back spacing...
One pic is my 31" AT next to my buddy's 35" MT

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 14
You said you'll be crossing some streams. Check the rear diff breather element. I'm not familiar with Jeep's, but on my truck I had to raise it up off the diff housing so I wouldn't be sucking in water every time I crossed a stream.

Back
Top Bottom