• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice on setting up a Jeep Cherokee for off road trips

HVACGuy

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
136   0
Reaction score
Ok, so I picked up a 96 Cherokee Sport 4x4, and I'd like to set it up for going off road, mostly camping trips in the mountains. Nothing over the top, just somewhat rough roads, needs to travel through some creeks, etc.
Obviously the wheels will be changing, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 35
Search in some sites for jeeps and Cherokees

Those are great vehicles
Inexpensive , and the straight six is a great engine .
Not a lot of horsepower for high speed but they are torque monsters , and with the automatic transmission , are great on non paved roads

You need the largest tire that will fit without any lift
I owned one years ago , a 90 model , but I don't remember the tire size
I think you can squeeze 31s on there if you do t mind them rubbing a little when the wheels are turned and you hit a bump

Mine had the transfer case that could select between 2hi , full time all wheel drive ,
4 hi, and 4 low
The full time all wheel drive was great in the rain and even on dry paved mountain roads , but we had problems with the transfer case wearing out.
And I don't think they used it too many years

A small lift is ok but I wouldn't go more than 2"

Depending on your budget you might want to consider a locking rear differential , that makes a world of difference , but I don't like the automatic lockers , I much prefer the selectable ones you can turn on or off,
A Locking diff and new tires will probably cost as much as you paid for the car

Might want to consider aftermarket bumpers that are not tin foil like the factory ones
And maybe a rear bumper with a swing out carrier for a full size spare and high lift jack

Maybe some decent tow hooks bolted to the frame
And I'd reccomend a couple 50 foot lengths of synthetic winch extension cable
It's as strong as metal cable but lighter than ski rope
And some short straps and clevis connectors

Unless you know it's been done recently
I'd look into replacing the radiator with a high quality aftermarket one
And the water pump with a high quality new , not rebuilt , pump , and replace the upper and lower hoses and all the heater hoses and the fan clutch with a high quality (not made in China and not in Mexico either if you can find a USA made one ) fan clutch

The cooling systems in all the jeeps is marginal when it's new and when it gets old they are not adequate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put on a set of Napier hood louvers. Jeeps are notorious for overheating, and these keep the engine compartment super cool!!!

This is the Jeep I bought off of the ODT here in Jan 2016- 5 speed 4x4.

upload_2017-5-12_7-23-6.png

IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6957.JPG
I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a lift. I lifted it in 2009 and drove it for a few years until i parked it since i have a company vehicle arms a small car that gets better MPG. It's a slow process but mine is becoming a camping bug out vehicle. There are lots of Jeep Cherokee forums. Also Georgia Jeepers on Facebook. The possibilities are endless and the XJ is one of the cheapest and easiest to build by far. My 4.5" lift is from Rusty's off-road in Gadsen Alabama. Have fun with it.

I had to do a 4x4 swap other than that you can run about a 4" lift without a slip yolk eliminator but anything over that and you start getting some mean vibrations in the drive shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry a small compressor,so you can deflate tires if you go off roading/rock climbing.

If you're planning on wheeling where you have the need to lower your tire pressure go with CO2. Small compressors are worthless for anything other than basketballs.
Its a volume thing, and 31 and larger tires require a huge volume of gas to inflate.
Inflate 4, 35" tires from 9 to 30psi in less than 5 minutes with CO2 or 20 minutes or more per tire with a 12v compressor.

These are decent pumps,ive inflated 38s in few a
440P-Compressor.jpg
minutes,not 20 or 30.Sure there is junk out there,you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom