• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need an Expert

Jpx13

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
27   2
Reaction score
Hey folks. I have quite a few good knives, mostly Esee's. I have worn the the blades on a few of them and want to sharpen them. I bought a Lansky system and practiced on a few beater knives before putting my good knives in the clamp. I am well aware that most folks like the Sharpmaker better, but I basically got the Lansky for free. I got some of the beaters fairly sharp, but not as sharp as I'd like. Just for the heck of it, I put my Esee 5 in the clamp. This is is well-worn blade and I figured I couldn't mess it up too bad. When I sharpened it, it got slightly sharper than it was, but not even sharp enough to cut my skin. I've watched several videos and read a good bit on the Lansky. I think I just have bad technique. Rather than keep dulling blades and wasting time, I would like to find somebody who knows this system and would be willing to spare a little time one afternoon to school me on this. I'll come to you and bring the sharpener and the knives. I don't want someone to sharpen for me, I want someone to show me how to do it myself. If anyone in the north GA area can and will help me, please PM me or post here. I live in Cumming but can do a little driving to find a guru. Thanks folks.

Get it as good as you can and then strop it using news paper on the kitchen counter... Makes a big difference. You can see in 10 minutes if this is what you are missing.

I'll try the newspaper as well. I was using a piece of leather I cut from an old holster I no longer use, but it was black leather and it seemed to just gum up on the blade.

Honing = medium and fine stones, correct? And coarse is more for sharpening? But if I've messed up the blade angle, then I may need someone to sharpen it now, correct?

Back
Top Bottom