• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need clearing and grading in Western North Carolina, close to GA

Welcome to WNC. Get used to abnormally high prices and substandard job performance until you get to know some people and get some word of mouth going in the area.

Where is the property?

I have rentals in WNC and lived here a while. People work on "mountain time" and charge tourist prices if you don't know somebody.

Thanks, Haywood. Property is about 20 min outside of Franklin - sorry to be cagey, can give you a more exact location over PM. Real nice laying with 2 small creeks not quite big enough to fish in, but still noisy.
I have loved Franklin for decades, since I was a little kid who loved to explore, play in the dirt and look for rocks. Have met some very fine people there, it has just proven hard to break into "the circle" and find someone to do the job without taking me to the cleaners. I know this kind of work is expensive everywhere, but there surely is such a thing as tourist pricing. In a bit of a jam, because hardwood has been on the ground now for over 3 months, and I would like to save a lot of it from rotting.

Good luck finding someone. I’ve been trying for a month and no one has come out yet to even look at my property.
Good grief, nobody wants to come out and put in a bid? Is your land also in Western NC?
People met with me, we just weren't able to come to terms. What do you think you'll do?

Good grief, nobody wants to come out and put in a bid? Is your land also in Western NC?
People met with me, we just weren't able to come to terms. What do you think you'll do?

Like I said, mountain time. I’m up close to boone. Same deal here but worse. Takes people years to form a network of reliable help. Construction, cleaning, landscaping, remodeling, etc you are lucky to have someone give a price and even luckier if they actually show up. If they do, you’ll get touring prices. Quit trying the ads and signs and try word of mouth. Go to equipment stores, local hardware stores, garages , etc and ask around for a local that does good work for reasonable rates. Trust me, I know ppl in the hills don’t give a **** and are always in their own schedule. If you were up here, I could help. Start small, get referrals and take your time.

For the longest time, I was begging people to take my money. The ones that did show up would just throw out double the rate because they didn’t care if they got the job or not. Different attitude than here

Thanks, that's good advice. Do wish you were closer to Franklin. A couple of the guys who came out actually were local referrals. I like the idea of checking with garages, hardware stores etc. Little more difficult though, since I'm almost 6 hrs away at the moment. Not impossible. It's just that every time I go out there for now, I'm paying to stay at some seedy hiker motel - really takes a toll on the finances.
Will add that I still love my property and that I've met great people, but recent events, the interactions with locals who try to hustle you has caused me to fall slightly out of love with the area.

Thanks, that's good advice. Do wish you were closer to Franklin. A couple of the guys who came out actually were local referrals. I like the idea of checking with garages, hardware stores etc. Little more difficult though, since I'm almost 6 hrs away at the moment. Not impossible. It's just that every time I go out there for now, I'm paying to stay at some seedy hiker motel - really takes a toll on the finances.
Will add that I still love my property and that I've met great people, but recent events, the interactions with locals who try to hustle you has caused me to fall slightly out of love with the area.

I totally understand and have felt the same way. Some of my own relatives have been seemingly rude and apathetic towards me. My 6th G grandfather was in the revolutionary war and was given 600 acres in Kona NC. I have some of it but I don’t even try to talk to family any more. I have a number of rentals and always needing help. Took me forever to build a group of reliable, reasonable people to hire. I still have trouble for certain things.

I have the advantage of living here. Try going to a VFD event, open house or whatever. Talk to them and explain you have some property to clear and having trouble finding anyone. I am a member of our local FD and have found a number of tradesmen to help me at reasonable prices with good work.

Try to plan ahead and be patient as you can. It took me about 10 times longer to get stuff done as it should have.

Hey All,

Please, if you know someone who clears/grades in the North GA/Western NC area and who won't try to date rape me, let me know. Have funds and am good to go asap.
Added bonus if the company does well and septic.

I have slightly less than 8 acres of nicely laying land in the Western NC mountains.
Need some clearing and grading for 2 homesites including approx. 600-700 feet of gravel driveway.

Several trees are on the ground that were cut about 3 months ago. Stumps were left to make it easy for a tractor etc. to push over. I would like to save and stack a lot of the hardwood that's on the ground, the few pines not so much.

A few more trees need to come down, including the last remaining pines. One homesite at the hilltop is relatively flat, the other will need more dirt moved but is not steep at all.

I've gotten several quotes from folks in the area, and most of them seem pretty keen on me paying off their toys. Sorta like the whole town got together and said, "He ain't from around here, let's nail him!" It has been pretty frustrating.

Would really like to knock this out soon. Please let me know if there is anyone you would recommend for the job. Thanks, ODT!

PM's are good, since I may spot them quicker. And I can provide as much info on the project as you need.
drillBOSS may he is on ODT

I totally understand and have felt the same way. Some of my own relatives have been seemingly rude and apathetic towards me. My 6th G grandfather was in the revolutionary war and was given 600 acres in Kona NC. I have some of it but I don’t even try to talk to family any more. I have a number of rentals and always needing help. Took me forever to build a group of reliable, reasonable people to hire. I still have trouble for certain things.

I have the advantage of living here. Try going to a VFD event, open house or whatever. Talk to them and explain you have some property to clear and having trouble finding anyone. I am a member of our local FD and have found a number of tradesmen to help me at reasonable prices with good work.

Try to plan ahead and be patient as you can. It took me about 10 times longer to get stuff done as it should have.

That must be amazing to have such a connection to the land, and to your 6x G grandfather through the land. There aren't many, I'd imagine, who can claim that. I have a Revolutionary War connection, but no land passed down through it.
I will follow your advice and try going to one of those events. Can afford to wait on some of things I'd like to do, since I unfortunately don't appear to be moving to NC in the near future. However, would really like to save a lot of the hardwood that's on the ground (wishing like hell I hadn't jumped the gun on that), and that means getting someone out there at least to clean up the mess. And if they are going to be out there with the machinery, they may as well finish what clearing is needed, and cut in a driveway. Admit also that I am keen on seeing this stage complete. That would at least allow me to go out there and enjoy the property. Sincerely appreciate your advice, Haywood!

Back
Top Bottom