• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

need help from the Ford guys here please.

On that engine it could be several simple things.

Does it idle bad but rev up ok?

Does it die when you try to go or give it gas?

Heave you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve?

No problems before. It just seemed sluggish and I've put 110k on it since I bought it and never changed it. Figured it was time and couldbe been part of it being sluggish.

I'll check for a vacuum leak tomorow.

Also, it idles and revs fine. But when driving it sputters severely and lost a lot of power, feels the same when I had a coil go out and it was skipping.

Only time it's dies is a normal or fast stop. It seems to drop fuel pressure and die.

If the motor is idling smooth, the catalytic converter innards could have collapsed. Had a car that did this and would crank and idle fine but had no power due to the restriction. Hold your hand over the tailpipe and have someone gas the throttle. If the amount of exhaust air doesn't blast your hand then that may be whats going on. This is just another idea. Diagnosis via the interwebs tends to be tricky.

Ive got a 2000 expedition with the 5.4 in it.

I recently changed the fuel filter hoping to restore some power and improve fuel millage a bit, because I knew it hadn't been changed in over 110k miles.

First, yes it's installed correctly, with flow in the right direction, and hose fittings are tight.

After changing, it ran perfect for 3 days, then began to sputter and stall when braking. Now it's seems to be barely getting fuel at all and barely runs.

The fuel pump is running and can be heard easily. I've checked the line fittings at the filter and they're fine. I've also checked the fuel switch on the passenger kick panel and it hasn't tripped and seems fine.

I've been told it may be the fuel pressure regulator, but I can't afford to just throw parts at it and hope I hit the right one, nor can I afford diagnostic testing right now.

Has anyone here dealt with this? what was it? and what's the suggestions for the most likely cause?

thanks in advance.
First thing is did they give you the right filter check online with different resources and compare.. volume may be different, fit may be the same, check pressure at the fuel rail should be at least 35 psi,did you mess with the air filter box and or mass air flow sensor when replacing air filter? go to the dealer to get a specific filter! if the fuel pressure is erratic its possible the regulator is going and check gas cap

Last edited:
If it idles and revs fine but spits and sputters when running, I would say you have a bad COP or blew out the right rear spark plug.

True that. The coils will fail to ignite the fuel under acceleration. Grab a few at the junkyard and swap them around until you've cured the problem or swapped them all to rule them out.

Back
Top Bottom