Need help on a browning

cmbarber

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
33   0
Reaction score
just picked up a sweet little browning challenger II. Did some research on the gun and found out that they made the challenger II from 76-82. My gun is marked challenger II but the serial number dates it at 83. Now I doubt I stumbled upon a rarity that's worth millions (I can hope right?), so can someone help me out with some info on it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 18
This Browning pistol design was created to directly compete with the hugely successful Colt Woodsman series but different enough to avoid patent infringement. John Browning designed the Colt Woodsman and sold the rights to Colt. John M. Browning's grandson, Bruce Browning, redesigned the Woodsman and renamed it the "Nomad".

The Colt's first series one being 1915–1947, series two 1947–1955, and series three being 1955–1977. Colt ceased production of the Woodsman in 1977.

The Browning Nomad was introduced in 1962-1974, then came the Challenger and Medalist line based on the same frame/barrel/slide. The Buck Mark series was introduced 1984 and was cheaper to produce (aluminum investment casted frames) to compete with Ruger's .22 pistol. The Buck Mark series is going strong and is a fine pistol based on John Browning's 100 year old design. IMO these older blue steel/wood challengers are worth more than the plastic gripped ones or aluminum frame ones but it depends on what other people with money think.

Yours looks beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom