• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help on finding info on s&w cheifs special

rteasley

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
104   0
Reaction score
Ok guys i need some help from the Smith experts. I am trying to put a date on a 38 spl nickel finish 2" barrel. There is no model number so by that from what i have read puts it before 1957. There is a screw in front on trigger gaurd so now that puts me before 55' if i read correctly. Thats about as far as it goes for my research and was hoping somene might be able to take it further. I heard there was Smith guides out there to purchase that can help narrow the search by serial number but i dont have one. If another fellow trader out there has the resources to help the serial number starts with 465xx. Let me know if more info is needed or a pic to help. Thanks ahead of time Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics help. There many subtle changes over time that help identify the age of a Smith. Design of the grip, shape of the trigger guard, shape of the front sight, eg. half moon or sloping, the size of the S&W logo, the shape of the cylinder latch, etc. etc. Pictures will really help.

38.jpghere is a pic and thanks again for info! Dont believe grips are original unfortunitly

'52 looks right. It appears to be an aftermarket Nickel job. (Hammer and Trigger were never nickeled by S&W)
Also looks like it might be one of the early "small frame" pieces. Normal J frame grips will not fit on it if so. It actualy takes I frame grips. However the ramp site is not normally seen on a small frame.
Collector's snap up the small frames, but the re-nickel hurts the collect-ability.

Last edited:
That is whats called a flat latch. It does have the earlier rounder trigger gaurd but later ramped front sight. '52 was a traditional year for the J frames and could be a mix of old frame and new style barrel when assembled in '52, or the barrel could have been changed later...maybe when the nickel job was done. Contact S&W for a history letter to find out for sure, but has been said the aftermarket nickel kills collector value. Its still a dang nice J frame snubby!

52' thats pretty neat. I really dont know if the nickel is original or not ,it looks pretty amazing for61 years old if so. Whats the best way to determine if its a j or i frame. And is value around the normal 36 price. I really do thank each of you for the great info

Back
Top Bottom