• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help on finding info on s&w cheifs special

Hey Russ. Nice old Smith you have. You are correct on quite a few fronts. The serial number you gave puts the shipping date around 1951 to 1952. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson shows that serial numbers 1 - 7368 were shipped 1950-1951. However, S&W did not necessarily ship in numerical order back then. I do not believe it is one of the early models for three reasons, 1) the front site is not the "half-moon" site 2) the first models had a standard thumbpiece and 3) and they had a smaller triggerguard. Yours obviously has the later production front site ramp, the flat latch thumbpiece and the later larger triggerguard. Since it has the later standard front site ramp,the flat latch, and the later larger triggerguard, I believe it to be a very late 1951 or early 1952 shipped gun. Only a letter from S&W can tell you exactly, and it would also state if it were an original blue or nickel gun. jhvaughan2 is correct when he said S&W never nickeled the trigger or hammer. Although this model did come in blue or nickel, the fact that the trigger and hammer look to be nickeled it would then have to be an original blued gun. Pull the grips and if there is an "N" stamped on the frame, it is original nickel. If there is no "N", it was a blued gun. Given the fact that your Smith has the flat latch, the standard front site and the larger triggerguard, I believe it is a J frame, not an improved I frame. The gun would have come from the factory with the checkered diamond magna grips, probably in rosewood. Gosh I hope that helps you some. jhvaughn is also correct when he states that the re-nickel hurts the collectibility. Still, it is a great piece and looks a whole lot better than I do at 61. Maybe I need to be re-nickeled.

Last edited:
Thanks JWC. I pulled grip off and it has an H on it along with a 1 and then a 8 on opposite side. I can say barrel is original with matching numbers to frame. I guess with questionable nickel its hard to put value on it. One last question and i will be more than satisfied, is +P a no no in this 38

Russ, there will be different opinions on shooting +Ps in your gun. The standard .38 round, back when that gun was made, was arugably a higher load than todays standard .38 round. You could probably shoot +Ps in it, but I would not. The reason is simple. Why test fate? You could not replace a 1951/52 Smith, so why take the chance? I would shoot the standard .38 rounds.
Just because the gun has been re-nickeled, does not mean it has little value. You have to remember, during the 50's, 60's and part of the 70's, when a gun lost its finish, the owners spruced it up a bit. It did not hurt the value. Lots of Smiths during that time were re-barreled, re-nickeled, re-blued, whatever suited the owner of the gun. It is still a fine example of how well the gun was made to be here 61 years later and still functioning. Your gun is on or about my birthyear, so if you decide to give it away, I would be happy to provide a place for it to stay. lol.

Great advice on ammo, I guess I could have used common sense on that issue lol if I can find 38 -P. I will keep you in mind JWC if it needs to find another home for now I think I will hang on to it. If I said I had $500 in it, would you say I did poor, fair, good.

Russ, not for me to say. But, let me ask you this, when is the last time you saw a 1951/52 gun for less? If you are happy with it, who cares what others think it is worth.

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd edition, by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas is a must have. The book is my go to source for most S&W information.

It is hard to tell by the picture but I respectfully disagree with JWC -- it looks to me like it does have the smaller trigger guard, but I've been wrong before. It is hard to tell even in good pictures without seeing them side by side, but the "baby chief" has a bit more "meat" in front of the guard. Also, I've been looking around, and ramp-sited Baby Chiefs are not that odd.

One way to tell for sure is to try some original style j frame grips on it. If they are about 1/8" too long it is a "baby"

One thing to clear up. These models were not I frames. To put the .38 Special in the small frame built for the .32, the frame had to be stretched a bit, that is when the J frame was introduced. There are no 38 special i-frames, only .22, 32 & .38 S&W. However to confuse the matter the first models only stretched the frame length not the grip length. Around 52, 53 the longer gripped J Frame came out. It is what we still have today.

Below is a picture of a Small Frame and regular. Note the shape of the trigger guard and the space in front. You can even note a bit more meat on the bottom of the grip.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v70_BlackAgnes_BabyChief005.jpg

i585.photobucket.com_albums_ss291_linde43_Chief_20Spl_2059446_Picture009.jpg

Last edited:
jhvauhn, I don't blame you for disagreeing with me. My eyes are not what they were and just looking a the pic, heck, I could be wrong. Ramp site Baby Smiths are not that rare. I was just looking at the pic and trying to determine the triggerguard size. Heck, I can't even tell my shoe size when I am standing up! I would love to hold the revolver in question and I bet we could all tell at that time what it is. I am going to PM the OP and see if we can get more pics, or better yet, just try J frame grips on it. If they do not fit, then it is an I frame. I have been wrong and will be wrong in the future. I am just glad we can get it right!

Back
Top Bottom