Need load data for Speer .45 acp

Sorry, but I got tied up last night. Here's the page out of Speer #9:

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_04_03_0479b0c766de18cc2ccd4a6334988ca8.jpg

And here's another site that agrees pretty well:

http://www.reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

I've personally used the old Speer 200gr "flying ashcan" in front of 7.3 gr Unique.

Last edited:
you can safely use loading data for the 230 gr, JHP, just make sure its a standard jacketed JHP and not an all copper/ frangible projectile.
5 grains of difference in a projectile of the same type isn't likely to cause an harm, projectiles will vary a few grains from each other in the same box anyway.
I personally would not use the crimping groove either on the 45 acp..

"Flying ashcan" ? I kinda of stuck with these or willing to sell or trade . I,m guessing what your saying is they are not the cleanest to shoot

"Flying ashcan" ? I kinda of stuck with these or willing to sell or trade . I,m guessing what your saying is they are not the cleanest to shoot

No they got that name due to the enormous hollow point cavity in the projectile!
Actually I know them as "Flying Ashtray".
about the closest thing to them now I can think of is the federal Classic in 45 acp, which is a loaded factory round, the old school projectiles neeeded huge caviites to work as designed , now days they do this by jacket design and material.

Did they "do the job" per their design or should I consider these for just shooting paper. My plan was to load them all ( 800 ) see what load works the best and then store the rest for who knows what .

Did they "do the job" per their design or should I consider these for just shooting paper. My plan was to load them all ( 800 ) see what load works the best and then store the rest for who knows what .

Sure they work as well as most any old school hollow point.
you will need to push them pretty hard to get obtimum expansion out of them but they worked for many years and people don't have any thicker or tougher skin today than they had 20 years ago.
If I had them I would certainly use them, especially them being in a 45 acp.

Nothing wrong with the 225gr. I just like the 200gr cause I can drive them fast (1000fps) and they open up well at those velocities. Plus, recoil is less than the 225 or 230gr. I will say that the 225gr is a really good bullet in the .45 Colt when driven hard. A lot of deer killed with that bullet.

you can safely use loading data for the 230 gr, JHP, just make sure its a standard jacketed JHP and not an all copper/ frangible projectile.
5 grains of difference in a projectile of the same type isn't likely to cause an harm, projectiles will vary a few grains from each other in the same box anyway.
I personally would not use the crimping groove either on the 45 acp..

It's really for a roll crimp on a .45 caliber revolver not necessary on a ACP/taper crimped ammo.

Nothing wrong with the 225gr. I just like the 200gr cause I can drive them fast (1000fps) and they open up well at those velocities. Plus, recoil is less than the 225 or 230gr. I will say that the 225gr is a really good bullet in the .45 Colt when driven hard. A lot of deer killed with that bullet.

Yep!'
200 grain is my favorite weight for full size 1911's or other 5 inch barreled, I like 175-185 for 4 inch and shorter myself.

Back
Top Bottom