• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need recommendations for a 18"-24"+ machete

PS: I've tried 20 inch and 22 inch bladed machetes,
and I think they're too long; they don't have a good balance and they can snag on things if you use them in the bushes,
in a jungle environment.

Cane Knife
s-l400.jpg

Crazy talk. Thick and heavy machetes cut better-- at least if you're chopping wood more than 3/4 inch thick, and not tall grass or harvesting hay.

yes IMHO Ontario makes the best machete good steel and heat treatment, still USA made can find a 18 inch for $35. I did thinned the profile a little along the whole edge, squared off the underside by the handle for ferro rods. I don’t know that you can use the South American machetes like the Ontario as a multi purpose/camp they are thinner stock and are purpose made for crop harvest. Still good quality, not what we in the USA would use a machete for most of the time. My .02

Ontario Knife. Have had two for 25 years and they have seen heavy duty work and have chopped down 6" trees in a pinch. They are both still in great shape and sharp.

Dont go longer than 18". Lighter is better. I spent some time cutting line surveying and went through a few till I figured that out. Machetes cut with speed not weight. Get one made in Columbia, Ecuador or some country where cutting sugar cane is a thing. They are generally the best.

Back
Top Bottom