• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need references for gun smith to restore a pre-war A5

Bearingarms

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
26   0
Reaction score
I am in need of a gunsmith that is good with stripping, bluing, and wood finishing. I have an pre-war auto-5 that I would love to get back into showing condition. Anyone that knows the history of the browning A-5 can appreciate the history of a 100+ year old gun, but I really want to get it back into pristine condition. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great!

http://gunbluing.com/

If you want it to look as it did when new, prepare to be bewildered by prices.

Someone like Turnbell will do a great job, but the price will exceed the "market" value of the gun by several times. It may not be excessive if the "sentimental" value is high enough.

Someone who charges less may a decent job, but not a perfect job.

You might want to call Glenrock Bluing and run the project by them. They did a pistol for me several years ago--looked good.

Link Above at top.

Last edited:
I bought a sweet 16 several years back that had been sanded and spray painted flat black. Wood and metal. Bob Bailey from Pa striped it down, rust blued all the metal, gold plated the trigger, recut the checkering and refinished the wood. It looked brand new when I got it back. Its been more than 10 years so its possible he could be retired now. But give him a call. You wont be disappointed.
image.jpg

Art's Gun Shop, Hillsboro, MO. is the premier Browning Shotgun Restorer in the country--Art used to work for Browning, and did a LOT of work for Browning even after he left their employ--HTH--mikey357

Reactions: GS
Bruce Weeks at Mill Creek Gun Works (678) 431-21480 in Woodstock did a 100+ year old Remington model 11 for me this fall. He reblued it for me and I gave it to my father for Christmas. He did a great job and the price was very fair.

Back
Top Bottom