• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need some advice on an outdoor fryer/boiler

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Doing a low country boil this weekend for my family and two others. Will be about 16 people there to feed, about half of that is kids. Planning to do a low country boil with 8lbs of sausage, 5lbs of shrimp, 7lbs of potatoes, about 12 ears of corn and a couple of lemons. I'd like to pick up an outdoor cooker that I could also use for frying a turkey. Based on some back of the napkin math for the boil I think i would need a 50-60qt pot but open to thoughts on if that should be bigger or smaller. Also, aluminum should be fine for the boil and the fry in a month or so right? Any real advantage to steel? Finally, open to recommendations on a burner, and a pot with drain basket that you guys like.

Thanks!
Caleb

I've got both stainless and aluminum.....I personally prefer steal to aluminum, however I believe aluminum is probably a little cheaper...depending on turkey size 30qt or so should...remember the bigger the pot, the more oil you'll need....on the back side of that comment is the the more oil you have the less the temp change will be when you apply turkey to oil...burners are burners....Walmart....unless you want to go fancy....then you can choose yourself...

I've got both stainless and aluminum.....I personally prefer steal to aluminum, however I believe aluminum is probably a little cheaper...depending on turkey size 30qt or so should...remember the bigger the pot, the more oil you'll need....on the back side of that comment is the the more oil you have the less the temp change will be when you apply turkey to oil...burners are burners....Walmart....unless you want to go fancy....then you can choose yourself...

Yeah, going 60qt for the low country boil. May even pick up a 30qt to do turkeys just to save on oil cost.

Back
Top Bottom