• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some direction on a training class for carry permit out of state

One of the things to be wary of is the perception that you are "license shopping".

As Georgia now recognises many States on a reciprocal basis, this issue has started to turn up.

Let us say that you are a GA Resident, with a valid GWL, and you also possess a FL CCL.

If in a State that has no reciprocity with GA, and you are found to be carrying, it is just possible that the local DA will take a posture that the fact that you are a GA Resident makes the FL CCL moot.

Case in point:

SC has no reciprocity with GA, but does with FL.

But, ONLY if the holder of the FL permit is a resident of FL.

Be careful out there.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

QUESTION 4. I have a Florida Concealed Weapon/Firearm License, but I am not a legal resident of Florida. Can I travel to the states that recognize Florida licenses and still carry a concealed weapon?

Most of the reciprocity states will honor Florida non-resident permits; however, authorities in a number of states have informed us that there are specific provisions in their laws that restrict the terms of their mutual recognition agreements ONLY to the LICENSED RESIDENTS of other states. Therefore, those individuals who hold Florida licenses but who are not residents of Florida cannot carry concealed weapons in these states. Please take careful note of those states listed above that have a reference to Footnote 4 after them.

there are about 10 states that the GWL is recognized in, correct?

I count 23 with reciprocity with Georgia. Vermont honors our license, but no reciprocity, as they have no restrictive carry laws to speak of.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflr.php

That means with ONLY a GWL, you can carry in 1/2 the States.

Only State bordering GA that has no reciprocity is SC.

Last edited:
A quick look at reciprocity that GA has, and what, by getting a non-resident FL CCL, you will gain is:

You will be able to carry in Nebraska, Kansas, Delaware, New Mexico, Ohio, and West Virginia, under that States Codes, when that State does not honor a GWL, but does a non-resident FL CCL.

I am glad I looked into that, as I was considering a FL CCL for South Carolina, but I see now that won't help, and the other States listed are ones I doubt I'll ever visit.

Back
Top Bottom