• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help from you handy type gents.

Npowers66

Default rank <5000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
358   1
Reaction score
1EEAA9C5-D431-4F81-8C48-1BDCD0C55580.jpeg
54DD89DB-FBB1-4AA0-B609-DE08768F8589.jpeg
49947345-5C15-4EC7-9FD5-FF1CE9894095.jpeg
So I built a beach/fishing/ range cart out of pvc. I’m down to the wheels and axel. The axel is just a 5/8 threaded rod I got from the depot. In the inside behind the third I have a washer then a spacer then the wheel. Out side I have a washer and a nut. If I tighten the nut the wheels won’t spin freely. If I loosen them. While the rod is spinning the nut will eventually fall off. Should I drill a whole and put a cotter pin in just to bolt the wheel on? Or should I get a acorn nut and try a lug nut style approach ?

Couple ways to attack that. Its going to get sandy and gritty so you need to remember that. It doesnt look like you have a washer in your outside nut? Easiest possible solution for what I can see in the picture is to put a washer against the wheel side and add another nut to tighten against the first one. This should allow you to leave the wheel loose enough to free spin without worry of it coming off. Should be a cheap and easy solution.

Edited to read thread. Add an additional nut and tighten against the other one snuggly.

Believe I would just get two more nuts, get the wheels/axle adjusted to where everything spins freely with 1 set, then lock each side down with second set.

Edit: little slow on the post, meant same thing as JDG. JDG. above

You could also use thread-locker (liquid you put in the threads under where the nut will go) if you want to stay with one nut. Just a little bit on the threads, tight nut against wheel, back off about one thread. Leave to dry overnight.

Back
Top Bottom