• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help with 3Phase Equipment. Anybody familiar with VFD's?

bluesman2a

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
I have some 3 phase equipment (mill and lathe) at the house, and a VFD to hook at least one of them up. I have 220 to the machine now, and I'm a pretty handy guy, I know plenty about residential wiring, just never did 3 phase or VFD before.

If anybody has experience with this and has worked with VFD's before, I would be happy to compensate you for your time if we can get my stuff up and running.

PM me for details, I'm not far from the Mall of Georgia.

Residential homes are wired single phase in other words two legs of power 240 volts comming into your breaker box from the power company 3 phase power is three legs of power at your box either 208 volts or 480 volts from the power company commercial industrial applications only without that 3rd leg of power your equipment will not operate

I appreciate the primer, Nikon Dave, I knew all that but with a VFD, yes it CAN be done. Or with a Rotary Phase Converter.

What I need is somebody familiar with VFD's to help me implement it.

Edit: Here's the science behind it... It's also why I can get 3 phase equipment a LOT cheaper than 110/220, because everybody THINKS it won't work at home:
http://www.openelectrical.org/wiki/index.php?title=Phase_Converter

Last edited:
Does the VFD have 3ph input and output to your motor?

No, the VFD takes 220 and converts it to 3 phase (I know this works as a fact and I have a vertical bandsaw in my shop that I purchased with this setup and it works just fine). If you look at sites like Practical Machinist, they do it all day long. Was just hoping to get some help from somebody local and the ODT seemed like a good cross section of handy-dudes.

I just wanted to say thanks to a fellow ODT'er, I got this done today! Not only did the gentleman drive quite some ways to help me out, but basically asked for no compensation in return. We had some good conversation while he and his sons were here, a very enjoyable afternoon, good manners wouldn't let me let the guys leave with nothing but a thank you so I put together a quick care-package with some mags for his AR. Just wanted to say THANKS to the ODT and Don again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom