• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need some help with ar15 upper....

If you want to sometime we can take it up to River Bend Gun Club and test it and and then tinker with it and test and adjust, test and adjust and so. I know it's hard to get out every time you make an adjustment and try it out. There I have a tool box full of special tools I use in my builds and we can take it all the way down to the bones and back again with just what's in my tool box. I have extra parts, springs, pins, bolts, ejectors you name it and it's in there and all of it is new except for the spare bolt but it's good to go. You live in Cobb County and I live in Acworth so we could meet and drive up. The have long tables and all types of room to work on a gun and it's all covered area. Might be worth a trip just to try out some suggestions offered and then test it and so on and so on. It's a little drive but well worth the time investment.
I was also going to ask if you got the gas block at the same place you ordered the barrel. Being that the barrel is dimpled it may of alinment by a hair. It's little things like that we can put to the test. I can go any week day when it's a ghost town. My text is 404-437-9592.

Like many have stated before use high quality ammo to test. Your gun is only as good as the ammo you are running. Ammo pressure is not a flat line it varies immensely. As a matter of fact ARP is a reputable 6.8 barrel source and on a couple of their barrels the foot notes say " this barrel will not cycle Remington 6.8 ammunition reliably. If you plan on plinking with this ammo then note that in the request and remarks box and we will enlarge the gas port ". So when breaking in a gun use good quality ammo to make sure that all is good with the gun to begin with. One would think Remington ammo would be a good ammo to use. In the matter of that particular ARP barrel it won't foot the bill. I would run Federal, Lake city or American Eagle 5.56 ammo to make sure pressures are at a mil spec or very close to level. Just thought I would throw that out there so you know about how ammo can effect a rifle in a good or adverse way. Food for thought.

I have a set of Vernier calipers and we can measure the center of the port in relation to the end of the block and then to the center of the gas block port to the step down to make sure that the port is not getting covered slightly. It would have been better to do that before the tube was installed but we can remove it, measure and then reinstall to make sure that 100% of the port is being utilized. I have never had a problem with using gas blocks from other manufacturers than the barrel but anything is possible when it comes to machine type devices. I wouldn't believe some of the things I have run into in hydraulic, pneumatic, gasoline and diesel equipment when I was working on them a good while back. I learned very quickly that new doesn't mean good to go.

Back
Top Bottom