• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NetFlix tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plans of providers can change, and it appears it has for Netflix. It sounds like you should cancel or just stop using the VPN or keep using the VPN if you want to circumvent the content restrictions.

That may very well happen. Or they can fix the issue. Or my guess is that we will have a clarification on the law in the US in a few more years, and it will most likely go the way that other countries are going - that this is perfectly legal.

Hmm, Netflix starts blocking VPNs in 2016.....the same year Opera offers a built in proxy server VPN add on that any idiot can use to their browser which there are countless threads on the internet regarding how to use in order to view netflix content not licensed in the end users country.

Probably a coincidence.

Sure if that helps you.

funny thing. I maintain several thousand networks all over the world and if I view my logs it would appear that the only people using Opera for their browsing are using it to view netflix.

99% of my end users use Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. Only 1% of my end users browser session is using Opera and of those 99% of those browser sessions are going to Netflix. Crazy how that works.

It's almost as if Opera offered that functionality to keep themselves relevant.

Thanks for letting us know what your employees are doing at work...

I don't find it to be irrelevant because the plan supposedly has changed. Personally if I can't use a vpn to connect, then I would cancel my membership.

You can use Netflix while connected to a VPN. It is when you are using the VPN as a proxy to mask your location to obtain access to unlicensed content that it becomes an issue. My home router has multiple permanent VPN sessions running 24/7 and it has never created an issue for me while using Netflix, because I am not using them to mask my location.

BTW, using a VPN to protect you from whatever you think is it protecting you from is a fools game. Anybody with any IT knowledge can see right through it, and if you think it is protecting you from the government or hackers you really do believe too much of what you read on the internet.

Netflix doesn't care if you do it because it isn't stealing from them. In the end they are just acting like they care to keep the content providers quiet. The content providers would pull their content from Netflix if Netflix wasn't paying them so much money for their content where it is licensed. Simply put it would cost Netflix and the content providers more money to stop petty thieves than they lose from the petty theft.

That doesn't change the fact that it is theft and you are ok with it.

Sure if that helps you.

Thanks for letting us know what your employees are doing at work...

Not my employees nor are all of them at work. Lot's of people use our networks for lots of different things. Saturday I had one being used to steam a bunch of basketball games into a stage for a party.

That may very well happen. Or they can fix the issue. Or my guess is that we will have a clarification on the law in the US in a few more years, and it will most likely go the way that other countries are going - that this is perfectly legal.

The law doesn't really have anything to do with it though. You have been quoting the Terms of Use. Yes, Netflix doesn't prohibit you from using a VPN. It does however prevent circumventing their content restrictions. You are doing that and admittedly violating the Terms of Use. You are also advocating others do the same and giving them instructions on how to also violate their Terms of Use.

Terms of Use does not necessarily equate to Legality. It's more a morality/ethical issue.

The law doesn't really have anything to do with it though. You have been quoting the Terms of Use. Yes, Netflix doesn't prohibit you from using a VPN. It does however prevent circumventing their content restrictions. You are doing that and admittedly violating the Terms of Use. You are also advocating others do the same and giving them instructions on how to also violate their Terms of Use.

Terms of Use does not necessarily equate to Legality. It's more a morality/ethical issue.

That's a fair point, and honestly I'm not yet swayed either way on the matter, especially when it was never an issue with the company until recently. I don't see this as any violation of copyright infringement as many countries have already confirmed. And I disagree that legality doesn't have anything to do with it because people are not concerning themselves with private contracts between companies. Well except those who wish to force said contracts on the public as regulations. But again it's a fair point.

That's a fair point, and honestly I'm not yet swayed either way on the matter, especially when it was never an issue with the company until recently. I don't see this as any violation of copyright infringement as many countries have already confirmed. And I disagree that legality doesn't have anything to do with it because people are not concerning themselves with private contracts between companies. Well except those who wish to force said contracts on the public as regulations. But again it's a fair point.

It's been mentioned, but Netflix couldn't care less other than they're trying to make the providers happy by putting up some basic geographic content restriction. There are also tons of unethical things that are legal or a gray area, so that's more about your personal comfort level.

It's been mentioned, but Netflix couldn't care less other than they're trying to make the providers happy by putting up some basic geographic content restriction. There are also tons of unethical things that are legal or a gray area, so that's more about your personal comfort level.

So I called them, and although it was the same wishy washiness, they said it was a violation of the terms of service so I want advocate for that, and I changed the OP. But yeah they could care less, and I think it actually has more to do with appeasing the biggest potential customer base in the world - ie. a certain communist country...

But as for stealing, I'll double down and say that is complete horse ****. This is paid for content, and private company contracts are not public policy - nor should they be.

So I called them, and although it was the same wishy washiness, they said it was a violation of the terms of service so I want advocate for that, and I changed the OP. But yeah they could care less, and I think it actually has more to do with appeasing the biggest potential customer base in the world - ie. a certain communist country...

But as for stealing, I'll double down and say that is complete horse ****. This is paid for content, and private company contracts are not public policy - nor should they be.

Hey, at least it wasn't a Kodi thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom