Never seen a 1911 like this before

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
Apparently this particular 1911 was WW2 issued, made it through all the way to the Vietnam War, and then it was captured -- along with its soldier. When that happened, the war hero pistol was converted (probably by the Viet Cong) to 7.62x25 Tokarev! Lordy lordy... never seen that before.

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/hand-guns/1911-pistols/scarce 1911a1 - vietnam conversion.html

2020-08-05_119.jpg

OK, not to be a doubter, but for the most part, I tend to be skeptical on these stories built around some guns.

I could see a .38 Super or 9mm being "converted"... As case head diameters closer to the 7.62x25 head diameter. But a .45 breech face seems a might bit big...? Don't have extensive knowledge of Jungle Workshop abilities. I know they could copy up many auto gun designs, both pistol and subgun. They tended to be pretty crude. Would like to see the barrel. Plus, wouldn't they need to weld up breech face and redrill for smaller diameter round? A .45 breech face leaves a lot of room for a 7.62 x25 case head to dance around...I would want to see the breech face.

Also, the obviously new stainless steel mag, looking a lot like a "USA" 10mm mag (don't think Colt makes their mags with slide out removable base plates), is not exactly a jungle workshop product either? Did Uncle Ho have an account with Brownells?

Third point. You don't make a statement about a gun like this without breaking it down and showing the barrel!? AND, how do you get to the end of a jungle conflict ( high humidity) shooting the corrosive 7.62x25 Comm Block provided ammo, and end up with a bore rated at 9.5/10!!??

Unless Uncle Ho ordered up some of that non corrosive PPU ammo at the same time?

IMG_20201028_195240257.jpg
I am aware that they referred to the magazine as a "Colt" magazine, when it clearly states "U.S.A. Magazines" on the removable base plate.

I have some of these from years back in .38 Super, so recognized it. If they can't get the detail right about the magazine, why should I believe the rest of their interpretation?

Their story seems sketchy.

Another questionable item. The 7.62x25 cartridge is 1.360 inch OAL. The .45 Auto is 1.225 OAL. Running this during those days (1950s thru to 1970s) did not have the improvements we are seeing with some experimenters and the 1911 in .38 Super. Unless the Viet Cong hand loaded and seated bullets deeper than guys are doing now. I guess that could have been done? Maybe they just pressed the bullets a bit deeper into the loaded cartridge?

One poster mentions that he had heard (or read) that someone converting the 1911's back in the day may have tried to convert to use Tok magazines, but frame requires quite a bit of modification...

7.62comp.45auto.jpg

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/7-62x25-barrel-in-a-rock.458348/#:~:text=Max OAL on the super is 1.27".%20The,mag%2C%20but%20requires%20major%20modification%20to%20the%20frame

Apologies, I can get somewhat wrapped up in this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom