• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Here Never Owned a Gun Until now looking to buy another....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you can shoot .38 special out of your .357. .38 can be bought very cheap and is much more available than 9mm right now. Otherwise I would recommend a glock or XD.

Unless you have to conceal it, your first gun should have been a shotgun. Regardless, get some safety training from a reputable source that has training guns for student use and when you are comfortable handling a hand-gun safely, some additional situational/tactical training as well.

welcome to the odt

look at the sigs and cz brand firearms. cz are high quality and priced less then they should be worth, and sigs are just high quality and the cost reflects that

Last edited:
I would go to a gun-show or store with good variety and buy the one that felt the best in my hand, thats how i ended up with a XDM as my firs handgun, still have it and shoot regularly.

and welcome

Last edited:
Gun safety with a child in the house is the most important thing.

......... Seek professional training, then practice, practice practice. Then move to an auto if you feel the need.......... Make sure you use standard pressure 38 special, not +P or 357. Plenty of time for that later, if you feel the need. The standard round is adequate, and easier to get fast repeat hits with. By training, I do not mean that thing Adventure Outdoors offers when you buy a gun, it is a joke. Seek out professional training from individuals who do it for a living, and check their references through professionals who have used their services.

After you have received training:

Understanding that each kid is different, and this won't work for all kids: When my son first showed interest in guns, I showed him the gun was unloaded, and let him handle it whenever he asked, even when it was inconvenient for me. If I couldn't do it right then, we arranged to do it later, but on the same day. He was told that whenever he found a gun, he was to tell his mother or myself and he would get a reward as long as he didn't touch it before telling us. We tested him by occassionally leaving an unloaded gun for him to find. Always keep your gun in a quality secure holster, and make sure the kid understands the purpose of the trigger, and how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom