• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New Location Prefix System Feedback & Suggestions, take two!

Do you like the New location system in the trading post?

• Yes, I love it!

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • I like it, but I want a few more regions added.

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • I liked it better the old way!

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • And of course, tacos. (Tacos means you don't care either way)

Votes: 17 16.8%

• Total voters
Steve, I think it's a great idea and I understand your purpose. Having the prefix will make it "at a glance" much easier to determine if it's even worth looking at.

Obviously you're not going to be able to please everyone and make it absolutely specific. It's intended purpose is like you said, to narrow it down somewhat. Once one looks at the add and finds out the specific location it will be up to them to decide if they are willing to travel.....at least they'll know the general location before wasting time sending pm's to someone on the opposite side of the state.

Steve I swear I just dont get it. I know you want to make things easier on folks but you already have a great site! If someone is interested in something, then do the "leg" work! My god, how long does it take and how complicated is it to do it your self?Eveybody wants someone else to do it for them.Next people will want you do their negotiations for them too!! Or hey Steve can you go pick up this trade for me! Maybe you can set up a voice recognition type forum so we wont even have to type! People just getting to lazy imo.

I love this site and enjoy looking through all the cool stuff people are selling and trading. thanks for your hard efforts

x2 What zone is lyons in anyway.

The regions thing isn't specific enough to be useful. I think you're going to have to go with counties. Most people will know what counties surround them. If they don't recognize it, then it's probably too far to drive unless they really want it. Then it won't matter.

The regions thing isn't specific enough to be useful. I think you're going to have to go with counties. Most people will know what counties surround them. If they don't recognize it, then it's probably too far to drive unless they really want it. Then it won't matter.

Howl, I see your point but I disagree. There are several counties within reasonable driving distance from me that I dont know the name of. Also, depending on the item I may be willing to drive a few hours to purchase it. I sold a firearm last week to a guy who drove over two hours to pick it up.

Again, I think people may be missing the point. The prefix isnt meant to pinpoint the item specifically, it's just to let the potential buyer decide at a glance whether or not they even need to look at the item. Once they see that it is at least in their region they can pursue more info as to it's specific location. Basically it just saves some time.

However, a combination of both Region and County would seem like the most reasonable option (that will satisfy most members)

When I post an add I have always put the General Region and the County (i.e....SW GA Thomas Co.), but I dont know how you can get everyone to do that, unless there was a field requirement to fill in when posting an add for sale.

Last edited:
Its a step in the right direction to me.

I have to admit, I looked at the "decoder ring" and the first thing I thought was "What's so special about Hall county?" :-P

I'm not sure you can get the regions perfect though, everyone is going to have their own driving preferences which influences what they want. For example I'm in Lawrenceville, I won't drive south of Classic Marksman in Norcross but I'd be OK driving out to Athens which is probably 2x the distance just because i hate traffic. If the regions get too small it kind of breaks the system because to search you have to remember the 5-6 regions in your driving range.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is major highways added to the map just for clarity

Ok, I'm dense. I see the new system in place with NE/SE etc. My comment was referring to the map. I like the new system

Here's a different idea. Use the city of Atlanta as a base point of reference. When we list something we put XX miles XX of Atlanta i.e., 20 miles NE of Atlanta for Duluth, 20 miles NW for Marietta etc.. If someone is 20 miles S of Atlanta then I know about how far away they are from me without having to use a decoder ring... If someone doesn't know how far they are from Atlanta they only have to mapquest it once. I know it sounds a little more complicated but some counties are 30 miles from end to end. Knowing the county helps but may cause you to pass on something that is nearer than you think not to mention the apparent issues with counties getting lumped into regions as mentioned in the previous posts.

No cause i wouldnt sell nothing lol im like 300 miles from ATL, regions is better

How about this. Everyone is required to put their city and state when they register to use. This already appears when they post. Maybe this could be automatically added to the post title. Then do what I do, use mapquest to find the distance between my location and the others location. Just my two cents, but I do applaud the efforts to make things easier on the members here.

Ok, I'm dense. I see the new system in place with NE/SE etc. My comment was referring to the map. I like the new system

with current map its between Dublin zone and Sav or midway between Macom and Sav see how simple ask a ? and get an answer

I just ditched having a map for right now. I just want people to put the region that they feel best describes where they are.

How about this. Everyone is required to put their city and state when they register to use. This already appears when they post. Maybe this could be automatically added to the post title. Then do what I do, use mapquest to find the distance between my location and the others location. Just my two cents, but I do applaud the efforts to make things easier on the members here.

I consider this "step two." Your idea works great, but it isn't nearly as fast when you are just browsing. It involves opening another window and doing a map search, with the region code you can easily rule out something that is not anywhere near you.

For example, for me, if I do not recognize the county name, I do a search and discover it is in South GA, which is too far for me for most items. With the region tag, I would automatically know that it is out of range if I see SE or SW.

Back
Top Bottom