• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New press recommendations - Lock n Load?

WakeSS

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
I currently have a Dillon SDB set up for 9mm. I had thought about getting the proprietary 45 dies and using it just for those and adding a single stage for rifle.

I've read some issues seating 45 primers on the SDB though. Plus for dies, toolhead and powder measure I'm looking at around $200.

So, I'm looking at adding another progressive press. I think I have narrowed it down to the Hornady Lock n Load AP.
  • Cheaper than 550B
  • Auto indexing
  • 5 station
  • 500 free bullet promo

Any negatives to this press?

How do the "powder measure inserts" work out? Consistent? Can you really just swap the die set and run if you're using the same powder? (after verifying charge of course)

Is it easy to pull a round to check? Those dang buttons on the Dillon to pull a round mid cycle are kind of a PITA.

I plan to also expand this out to load 223/308 in the future.

Last edited:
I have a lock n' load ap. I love it, its loaded 10's of thousands of rounds, 9mm and .45 acp mostly. Some .223 and .308 as well. No negatives I've found, but I may accept things as how they are since I've never had a Dillon. It took some tweaking in the beginning, mostly because I didn't know what I was doing. Hornady support was very friendly and helpful. There are also a bunch of you tube videos on it operation that I found useful.

I'm not sure what a powder measure insert is, maybe thats something new since I bought mine. It is easy to pull a round to check it.

Thanks guys!
Yeah from the reading it looks like the powder measure is part of the tool head instead of a separate powder measure/container part. The concept sounds interesting so you don't have a bunch of $100 powder setups laying around.. if it works!

Good idea on checking youtube, I'll do that.

Back
Top Bottom