• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New reloader in the Alpharetta area

I wouldnt do 700x. Doesnt meter well

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Hasn't been my experience. Some of my most consistent 9mm rounds have been loaded with 700X, using a Lee Classic Turret with the Pro Auto Disk.

I don't like to recommend 700X for a beginner because of the fast burn speed, resulting in a small charge volume, which is hard to see in the case. Some recipes may not spill over the case if double charged..

I used trailboss as my first pistol powder in 9mm 38special and .45acp. you cant really double charge w/trailboss. once i got the hang of the process I started using other powders to produce the velocities i wanted. i still use a lot of trailboss for low recoil target loads...mouse farts.

I have the Lee Classic Turret and it is really, really good ... just follow all steps and pay attention to load weights (which I recommend for any re-loader / equipment)
Their powder measure is among one of the very best. I have extra turrets that allow me to keep entire setups of dies for my favorite loads!

I personally like Hodgdon Universal Clays as it provides consistent loads across a number of calibers. It also comes close to filling the case, thereby lessening the likelihood of double-charging. Like many others, I have found that 124 GR projectiles in 9 mm are favored (most accurate) in my firearms. Plated projectiles at mid-range velocities provide a really good, inexpensive and safe range load. Precision seems to always have had some of the best prices on jacketed projectiles ... Be aware that shipping is normally expensive unless you buy in quantity.

Loads and powders are listed on the various manufacturer's web sites. Some reloading manuals give you several alternative powders to use along with what they found to be the most accurate (You DO have a good reloading manual, don't you?). I agree that loading 9 mm right now isn't cost-effective, but it will give you good experience.

Remember: Re-loading is like SKY and SCUBA diving; extremely safe if you follow ALL the rules, deadly if you don't!!

9's love Tight Group... but it is really fast, takes small quantities, and can quickly become overloaded by just a small margin of error ... So, you must be very careful in avoiding double loads!

Manki...

Titegroup is a very good powder, meters well and has a wide array of application. But I think most people will agree with me that it should not be your first powder that you learn to reload in. It is rather fast burning and you can easily double/over charge, thus causing you to risk injury to your hand/gun.

In my experience, it is one of the most economical powders on the market. They seem hard to find during shortages but otherwise readily available.

I have loaded these, I love it and I do think they are great in the 9mm. For a newbie just starting out, I would recommend using another powder.

I have a suggestion for you: you need a reloading book. Lyman Reloading Manual 49 or 50 (the latest) is what you need.

Relying on "youtube" videos is unwise. The "author"'s advice may be wrong, and you'll have no way of knowing. Spend the money; buy reliable data. Though you can trust the data on the manufacturers websites, it's often very limited compared to that in say the Lyman manual.

Youtube is great for showing you how to set up gear, but do not take reloading formula suggestions from anywhere (that includes Loaddata.com, and ODT) except from a good data book, until you know what you are doing.

thanks for the feedback, i do have a loading manual: Lee's modern reloading manual 2nd edition. I will definitely sit down and go through to get a firm and complete understanding on the basics and rules.

thanks for the feedback, i do have a loading manual: Lee's modern reloading manual 2nd edition. I will definitely sit down and go through to get a firm and complete understanding on the basics and rules.

Lee's Modern Reloading is a good manual.

Regarding Titegroup: As others have said, it's probably better for a reloader with more experience, but if you have it available locally and you want to try it, go ahead. Just be aware that it's possible to put enough Titegroup into a 9mm case that it could wreck a gun, and worst case, cause a personal injury. Test your powder drop carefully. Weigh several loads when your setup is ready to confirm the powder is metering as expected. Make sure your scale is properly zeroed. Make sure your area is well lit and you can see into the case and visually verify the powder drop looks right. If you are having trouble seeing into the case, use a flashlight. Visually verify each powder load after it drops.

Whether new to reloading or a veteran reloader, double charges are an issue we all have to be vigilant about. Develop good habits now, including not letting yourself be distracted or tired while reloading, and being diligent about double checking your setup and work. And wear eye protection while reloading. No exceptions to that rule, ever.

Back
Top Bottom