• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NEW STAR WARS TRAILER

Rob Conery had a really good observation on Luke

"Luke Turned

I've had this argument with friends so many times. Some think as I do; others remain convinced that Luke ended the original trilogy as a good guy.

I say he, in fact, had turned to the dark side and we watched it happen in blissful ignorance, choosing to believe that he would always be the good guy. Lucas wanted it this way so he could sell more toys. But there's way more to this story.

Seeing these previews I think my theory might be correct: Luke gave in to the dark side to save his friends and defeat Vader and the emperor. We don't know what will happen after that, and hopefully we'll find out in December and we'll see if I'm right.

Here are my arguments, in no particular order...

"The Cave... Remember Your Failure at the Cave..."

Yoda knew the whole time that Luke was on the same path as his Anakin. He was reluctant to train him and said flatly that Luke would give in to the dark side if he left Dagobah to save his friends. The most striking part of this whole sequence (Luke's training with Yoda) is the cave.

Many people (my friends included) put it off as foreshadowing Luke's discovery that Vader is his father. I think it's foreshadowing that Luke will become his father. Of course, you don't know Vader's his dad at this point -- but at the end of the film, when I thought back to the cave... it made perfect sense. It's good, solid plot juice. Becoming your parents (or trying not to) is a huge motivator.

And Luke failed, according to Yoda. More than that -- Yoda issued this warning which Luke completely ignored:

Only a fully trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his emperor. If you end your training now... if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did... you will become an agent of evil.

There it is: Yoda said it point blank. How many times has Yoda been wrong in the first six films? It's almost like he can see the future sometimes! He knew Luke was on a path to become his father and, by leaving, he failed at preventing it.

Told you I did, reckless is he... now... matters are worse.

This is the start of Luke's slide."

Pretty interesting, and kind of what I thought from the beginning since the last two trailers have been released.
All of those quotes and scenes are from "The Empire Strikes Back". Yes, in that movie and in most of "Return Of The Jedi" there is the possibility that Luke MIGHT turn to the dark side. He comes VERY close to it in his final duel with Vader in the Emperors throne room, but remember what happens? He cuts Vaders hand off, then looks at his own mechanical hand and realizes that he is becoming Vader. At that moment he stops. He lets go of his anger, throws down his weapon and refuses to kill Vader. Not only did Luke NOT turn to the dark side, he also managed to redeem Anakin in the process. Remember the last scene in ROTJ? The spirits of Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin appearing to Luke in the Ewok village? They were smiling at him. I don't think they would have been smiling if Luke had fallen to the dark side.

All of those quotes and scenes are from "The Empire Strikes Back". Yes, in that movie and in most of "Return Of The Jedi" there is the possibility that Luke MIGHT turn to the dark side. He comes VERY close to it in his final duel with Vader in the Emperors throne room, but remember what happens? He cuts Vaders hand off, then looks at his own mechanical hand and realizes that he is becoming Vader. At that moment he stops. He lets go of his anger, throws down his weapon and refuses to kill Vader. Not only did Luke NOT turn to the dark side, he also managed to redeem Anakin in the process. Remember the last scene in ROTJ? The spirits of Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin appearing to Luke in the Ewok village? They were smiling at him. I don't think they would have been smiling if Luke had fallen to the dark side.
True, but also Luke held the burden of the Force power shifting solely to him, after all Sith and pretty Much the Jedis were gone. Remember, the Force is like a living being interconnected with all force users. This could have lend him going crazy or being overwhelmed with the force.

True, but also Luke held the burden of the Force power shifting solely to him, after all Sith and pretty Much the Jedis were gone. Remember, the Force is like a living being interconnected with all force users. This could have lend him going crazy or being overwhelmed with the force.
I just don't see it happening, but I may be blind to it just because I WANT him to be the new Obi-wan so bad. LOL! But somebody is going to have to be the wise mentor in the new movie, and if not Luke, then who?

Look at him in ROTJ when he fights Vader. He is young, angry and not very well trained at all. He is even dressed completly in black and is wearing a black glove. If there was ever a time that he would fall to the dark side, I think it was then.

In the new movie he will be 30 years older and presumably much wiser and stronger in the force. I just think that if he was going to fall, it would have happened in ROTJ.

That being said, alot can happen in 30 years, so who knows, but I will be VERY disappointed if he does turn out evil. It just wouldn't be right.

I just don't see it happening, but I may be blind to it just because I WANT him to be the new Obi-wan so bad. LOL! But somebody is going to have to be the wise mentor in the new movie, and if not Luke, then who?

Look at him in ROTJ when he fights Vader. He is young, angry and not very well trained at all. He is even dressed completly in black and is wearing a black glove. If there was ever a time that he would fall to the dark side, I think it was then.

In the new movie he will be 30 years older and presumably much wiser and stronger in the force. I just think that if he was going to fall, it would have happened in ROTJ.

That being said, alot can happen in 30 years, so who knows, but I will be VERY disappointed if he does turn out evil. It just wouldn't be right.

Yeah, who's to say he didn't complete his training with Yoda in that 30 year gap?

:pound:

I can't help it man. When I was growing up, Star Wars was my LIFE.

I still really like the theme of standing up and doing the right thing against a tyrannical government.
I watched them all as a kid (and enjoyed them) and actually am in the middle of re-watching them with my son (who has never seen them) right now. If I wasn't in the middle of that I'd have no idea what in the heck we're talking about. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom