• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEW TO BLACK POWDER

BBGuns

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
30   0
Reaction score
have a question new to the black powder world and just recently inherited a Euroarms model 1861 new army model in .44 cal. what type of powders and caps should i get? projectiles and basically how to load the gun? and what type of gear i should get. heard something about putting Crisco on the front of the cylinders to prevent a discharge from setting off the other cylinders. thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• 1044-LW-REM1858-SPORT-02.jpg
    1044-LW-REM1858-SPORT-02.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
have a question new to the black powder world and just recently inherited a Euroarms model 1861 new army model in .44 cal. what type of powders and caps should i get? projectiles and basically how to load the gun? and what type of gear i should get. heard something about putting Crisco on the front of the cylinders to prevent a discharge from setting off the other cylinders. thanks for the help guys.

You're going to need to do a lot of reading or find someone shooting black powder that you can shoot with.

You're going to need some powder, Pyrodex or Goex FFF.
You're going to need a powder measure, .451 round ball and #10 or #11 percussion caps.
You need to remember to load one, miss one then load four, that'll put you on the empty cylinder.

10 grains of powder, no more than 20.
Crisco or the stuff they make for it to cover the loaded cylinders, you do this to prevent a chain fire (all cylinders going off at the same time). They also sell felt wads to lessen the chance of a chain fire and it's a whole lot less mess than the Crisco route.

Load powder carefully and get it away from where you're shooting and there will be less likely a chance of chain fire or other accident.

There's just so much more to this, it's a hell of a lot of fun, but it would be wise to find someone doing this already in your neck of the woods.

Yeah, I'd say DO NOT SHOOT IT until you've studied black powder firearms a little more thoroughly.
Pay attention to the cleaning procedures.
I had a blued steel cap-and-ball revolver freeze up with rust from inadequate cleaning (though I did use hot soapy water, followed by Hoppe's #9 solvent, then dried the weapon, then oiled with the BreakFree CLP).

I suggest a completely separate cleaning kit for the BP gun. Don't use any of the same rods, bore brushes, wiping cloths, etc.

P.S. Not all nominally "forty-four caliber" (.44) cap and ball revolvers work best with the same size balls.
.451" is common, and a good starting point, but your gun may be more reliable and accurate with .454" balls.
There are .457 and even larger "44 caliber" round balls on the market, too.
Start with the smaller diameter ones, as long as they are at least a snug fit in the chambers, and see what your gun likes.

You're going to need to do a lot of reading or find someone shooting black powder that you can shoot with.

You're going to need some powder, Pyrodex or Goex FFF.
You're going to need a powder measure, .451 round ball and #10 or #11 percussion caps.
You need to remember to load one, miss one then load four, that'll put you on the empty cylinder.

10 grains of powder, no more than 20.
Crisco or the stuff they make for it to cover the loaded cylinders, you do this to prevent a chain fire (all cylinders going off at the same time). They also sell felt wads to lessen the chance of a chain fire and it's a whole lot less mess than the Crisco route.

Load powder carefully and get it away from where you're shooting and there will be less likely a chance of chain fire or other accident.

There's just so much more to this, it's a hell of a lot of fun, but it would be wise to find someone doing this already in your neck of the woods.

Yeah, I'd say DO NOT SHOOT IT until you've studied black powder firearms a little more thoroughly.
Pay attention to the cleaning procedures.
I had a blued steel cap-and-ball revolver freeze up with rust from inadequate cleaning (though I did use hot soapy water, followed by Hoppe's #9 solvent, then dried the weapon, then oiled with the BreakFree CLP).

I suggest a completely separate cleaning kit for the BP gun. Don't use any of the same rods, bore brushes, wiping cloths, etc.

thanks y'all yeah i know is a whole other ball game with black powder, i appreciate your input

Get a copy of Sam Fadala's Black Powder Handbook or The Black Powder Handgun , the older the better, for everything you need to know about using and maintaining these weapons safely. They're always available on Amazon.

I capped the cylinders with vasoline to prevent chain fire and also put just a touch of vasoline on the nipples to keep primers from jumping off on the first shot as well.Good luck!

I capped the cylinders with vasoline to prevent chain fire and also put just a touch of vasoline on the nipples to keep primers from jumping off on the first shot as well.Good luck!

When I hunted with my Hawken with percussion caps I always used Vaseline to ensure the cap would stay where I put it.

On the handguns I usually just pinch the cap a little for a snug fit....

Back
Top Bottom