Newbie Ammo Questions

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
So I know that for .22 suppressors you want to use subsonic ammo or something like CCI standard velocity because its gives the best sound reduction right? My question is what would happen if you ran Winchester 555 bulk through it? CCI SV is 1070 fps at the muzzle vs 1280 from the Winchester. Will you get some sound reduction or nothing at all? Also can you damage the suppressor? The only ammo I see suppressor manufacturers say DON'T USE is that 60gr Aguila SSS I think.

Also curious about the same question for 9mm suppressors running 115gr vs 147 which is subsonic.

Using supersonic 22 will result in it sounding like a paintball gun and a slight crack from the round breaking the sound barrier. Supersonic will not damage it. I can't speak on 9mm but the super vs sub is pretty much the same through out the caliber spectrum.

People talk crap about the Remington Subs but I've had good luck with them in rifles.

Yea I've seen mixed reviews about them too. Some like it some don't. I have some very old Thunderbolt and some of the bulk Golden Bullet and while S&W says not to run those in the 15-22 my Savage 64 eats em like candy. Is Remington usually inferior ammo?

What gun? I can run standard velocity Federal Auto-Match through a pistol w/ a suppressor and I don't get the sonic crack. Here's a video with the ISIS-2 on a Ruger 22/45. I shot CCI Sub Sonic as well but it wouldn't cycle the gun:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom