Newbie Ammo Questions

Here it is on an HK Model 4. Same ammo. First round had an issue and YouTube dropped the quality of the video since I uploaded from my phone and not on Wifi:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I've seen mixed reviews about them too. Some like it some don't. I have some very old Thunderbolt and some of the bulk Golden Bullet and while S&W says not to run those in the 15-22 my Savage 64 eats em like candy. Is Remington usually inferior ammo?

Golden Bullet: theyre a good plinking round. I'd compare it to russian surplus lol. They shoot best out of revolver,bolt,lever and single shot. Although I used them in the 15-22 with no issue. My buddy used them and couldn't get it to cycle good until I cleaned the dog snot out of it for him.

If I'm just plinking then bulk pack is fine for me.

What gun? I can run standard velocity Federal Auto-Match through a pistol w/ a suppressor and I don't get the sonic crack. Here's a video with the ISIS-2 on a Ruger 22/45. I shot CCI Sub Sonic as well but it wouldn't cycle the gun:

M&P 22 and 15-22.

On a side note that is the first time I've heard a noticeable first round pop.

Here it is on an HK Model 4. Same ammo. First round had an issue and YouTube dropped the quality of the video since I uploaded from my phone and not on Wifi:

Nice. These days with .22 I shoot whatever I can get my hands on. My subsonics I only use in my rifle. All my 22 pistols sound good with standard ammo.

I save all sub-sonic and standard velocity 22 for my bolt rifle. My P220 (22lr) runs 95% with Federal 550rd bulk ammo (1260fps) and is slightly louder than sub-sonic ammo through Sparrow.

17Mach2 (17gr. poly-tip) @ 2100fps has distinctive sonic-peep.

I can't tell any difference in bulk pack .22 vs. CCI subsonic out of my 22/45 with the Zephyr can on it. Now the 10/22 is a totally different story- the rifle is much louder with bulk pack vs. subsonic. Not ear-ringing loud, but it's not quiet. Now with the subsonic ammo in the rifle, it's back to hollywood quiet.

As far as 9mm goes, you can shoot standard 115 grain ammo though a can without ears on- but it's loud. The first time I took my Guardian 9 out to the range, I didn't have any subsonic ammo. It was a real "why the hell did I buy this can" moment. Thankfully I was able to find some 147 grain bullets and those are much quieter. Definitely not .22 quiet, but not loud.

It's all about barrel length. I can run bulk pack through my buckmark without having it crack, but the same out of my FVSR will go super.

Regarding 9mm, I run 147 and 158 when I can find it. Both stay subsonic out of my XDM 3.8 and my 5 inch 9mm SBR AR. If you can find it, the Fiocchi 158 is the quietest I've run across.

Thanks. I was going to run the Sparrow on my 15-22 and either get my Savage 64 barrel threaded or get a Savage FV-SR. Until then I'll have to invest in either e P22 or a M&P 22 because all I have is bulk packs and Mini-mags for .22 ammo.

Back
Top Bottom