• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NFA items and a trust. explain to me

So, the main selling purpose, for me was access.. If I were to purchase the suppressor in my name, all the legal paperwork completed and approved, I'd be good to go with a suppressor in my name.. Fun huh?? But, what happens if I were to go out of town for the week on business?? My suppressors are locked up in the safe, all good, right?? Well, I'm not planning to leave my wife home w/o a key to the safe.. So, now, she becomes in possession of the NFA items not in her name.... Ooops, she is now in violation of federal law and may be locked up when I get back from my trip... Anyone, feel free to correct me, but that's the way I understand it.. Also, my wife, son, and anyone else I see fit to use my(or the trust's) NFA items are welcome to and more importantly, legal to, if I have them on the Trust.. Kind of a no brainer for me.. Not a loophole, just a reasonable option to the asinine law that is NFA...

You're right. What everyone here is missing is a trust is kinda like a will. Its not a NFA entity by nature. But its a legal entity like a corporation, and legal entities are covered in NFA law.

Most people that have a trust do so so that their spouse will have their assets without going through probate court and have no idea what the NFA is.

The fact that we have to jump through all the hoops to prove we are law abiding citizens, while the bad guys will just do what they want, sux..... But, I cannot see the logic behind not using a trust.. If it came down to it, I'd be willing to have all on my trust go through the fingerprint and background channels before ever putting them in my name alone.. As mentioned, I look at the Trust as a business.. If the business owns a truck and insures it, anyone with access can use it.. A little plain and simple, but you get the point :) .. Again, just wish they'd spend the time and resources chasing the bad guys instead of us good guys.. But, that just makes sense..

Back
Top Bottom