• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Night sights, reco’s please

Mnigro

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
Been looking for a set for my XD-E. Saw the Trijicon HD in the local shop and I’m not keen on how small and minimal the rear sights are. There is no paint on the rear but the front dot is nice and big and bright. I want something that I can comfortably use at the range too... I want big bright rear dots that are easy to acquire.

I can’t find anything other than Trijicons at my local shop so thought I’d come here and see what y’all would recommend based on what I’m seeking. Internet pics are hard to judge. What would you buy?

Thanks for your help

For a set with front and rear tritium, I prefer the Trijicons with the bright green front and the dim yellow rears.

Use the dots at night, not during the day. At night, they’ll be plenty bright. If you’re using sights, the focus should be on the front sight. The brighter front sight helps to draw your focus where it belongs, not on the rear sight that is closer to your eye.

I have seen shooters that aren’t quite as skilled line the dots up incorrectly at night, with the front sight to the left or right of the rear sight instead of in the middle. Hurts accuracy a mite. Having different colors for the front and rear, or a brighter front, will help mitigate that.

I have been replacing everything I have with the Night Fision models. They are similar to the Trijicon HDs but are brighter and are very well made. Less cost as well. I have them for a VP9 (on sale here), and putting new ones on my Glock, CZ P07 and probably a P09. Good people to deal with on the phone as well. I ordered and realized I ordered the wrong set and called to see if they could change it. No problem.

You also get to choose what color front and whether you want square or u notch rear and bright outline or subdued. Great company.

I don't use any night sights... I figure if it is too dark to see regular sights, then it is also too dark to see my target anyway... :-)

They’re an aid, nothing more. In lowlight conditions, you may make out the outline of the subject shooting at you, and having at least a tritium front sight can aid in point shooting under stress. My preferred set up is a tritium front and a plain black rear, for this reason.

With the right flashlight technique, you won’t need tritium sights because you can see the outline of your sights, if not a full picture of the sights themselves. However, flashlights don’t always work, or may get dropped. If you’re not using a WML, you may not have time to draw the light, so you end up with only your handgun.

Lots of folks have a picture in their mind of what the fight is going to be, if it ever happens to them. I’ve found that is rarely the case. Tritium sights are an aid, and they don’t detract from your ability to shoot in the daylight, so they’re worth the money, IMO. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. They’re an aid, like flashlights and spare ammo.

They’re an aid, nothing more. In lowlight conditions, you may make out the outline of the subject shooting at you, and having at least a tritium front sight can aid in point shooting under stress. My preferred set up is a tritium front and a plain black rear, for this reason.

With the right flashlight technique, you won’t need tritium sights because you can see the outline of your sights, if not a full picture of the sights themselves. However, flashlights don’t always work, or may get dropped. If you’re not using a WML, you may not have time to draw the light, so you end up with only your handgun.

Lots of folks have a picture in their mind of what the fight is going to be, if it ever happens to them. I’ve found that is rarely the case. Tritium sights are an aid, and they don’t detract from your ability to shoot in the daylight, so they’re worth the money, IMO. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. They’re an aid, like flashlights and spare ammo.

I guess it depends on the sights themselves... I have bought guns or traded for a gun that came with them and they were fine in daylight, while others sucked.

Of course, after that first shot your night vision is likely gone and you aren't seeing the night sights either I would imagine. hehe

I guess it depends on the sights themselves... I have bought guns or traded for a gun that came with them and they were fine in daylight, while others sucked.

Of course, after that first shot your night vision is likely gone and you aren't seeing the night sights either I would imagine. hehe

That last comment would depend on how long the fight lasted, how dark it was to begin with, how many threats there were, and what ammo you were using in the first place. I’ve used ammo that had such a negligible, dark red flash that my night vision was either not effected at all, or recovered within a few seconds. If you’re not testing your carry ammo at night, you’re missing a very important factor.

Back
Top Bottom