• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nikon D3200 Reviews and Info

IMO, its silly to get into a brand debate or pixel peeping with someone new to photography. The performance of even the worst kit lens on the market today is extremely good. The OP needs something easy to operate and to understand what tools to use to make the experience less frustrating.

The D3200 is a great camera. Frankly, any current camera Nikon or Canon makes is going to give you fantastic picture quality. So play with a few in the store and get what is comfortable.

What you need:

Portraits and snapshots in bright light: the 18-55 kit lens is fine. A prime lens will always be sharper and let you play with depth of field.

Sports Outside: You'll want a telephoto. The 55-200 is good for cheap. I used to have the 70-300 which was a great under rated lens. I think they also have a 55-300 now which I'm sure is great for the price.

Low Light Portraits or snapshots Inside: You likely want a prime lens. I'm sticking with my 35mm recommendation. You'll also want a flash for when you need a focal distance other than 35mm. I wouldn't buy anything Nikon less than the SB-700, or if you can find a used SB-600 they are OK. In many instances you might need to use the prime with the flash.

Low Light where you can't bounce the flash's light off the ceiling: You want a prime. Again, the 35mm is cheap and good.

This is about all you can do at entry level. Doing anything with a telephoto in low light means LOTS of cash.

Yea I was thinking that I'd probably be happy and content with anything since I doubt I'd know better but electronics last a long time in this house and I want something that isn't too old but isn't the best but offers me good room to grow.

Yea I was thinking that I'd probably be happy and content with anything since I doubt I'd know better but electronics last a long time in this house and I want something that isn't too old but isn't the best but offers me good room to grow.

Cameras aren't like computers. They don't slow down or stop working well. They continue to perform at the level you purchase. As with anything mechanical things can break, but Nikon and Canon are both very good about caring for issues within their warranty. Make sure you register the camera with them when you buy it too.

Point being that the image quality of even the entry level cameras is fantastic even compared to what you could get 5-6 years ago, so whatever you buy should last you a very long time.

Cameras aren't like computers. They don't slow down or stop working well. They continue to perform at the level you purchase. As with anything mechanical things can break, but Nikon and Canon are both very good about caring for issues within their warranty. Make sure you register the camera with them when you buy it too.

Point being that the image quality of even the entry level cameras is fantastic even compared to what you could get 5-6 years ago, so whatever you buy should last you a very long time.

Thanks.

Any of you guys have insurance on your expensive cams?

Not anymore. I used to when I was shooting pro, but I sold most of that equipment. Of course I was lugging $15k worth of stuff with me all over the place and needed liability coverage too.

Ok. I saw a post on a disney forum about someone having insurance through State Farm for $35 a year with no deductible. Since I have State Farm I figured it would be worth looking into since other places charge $80-$170 for a 2 year accident plan.

It doesn't look like the T3i compares to the D3200: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D3200

More expensive too.

To be fair, the 3200 is a newer camera than the T3i. There has been a T4i and now a T5i. Nikon and Canon always release newer cameras in alternating years so it's tough to compare model to model as one will always be newer. Anyhow, like I said, the T3i has been around for a while and has certainly been outspec'd, but if you can find one for cheap, it's still a solid option. That's why it's still being sold.

Also, you can't quantify image quality, so the fact that this comparison states 20% better image quality for the Nikon leads me to believe that they are simply basing that off of the fact that the Nikon has a 24mp sensor vs the Canon's 18mp. More megapixels does not automatically mean more image quality, it just means more resolution for bigger prints. Hell, that little kit lens can't resolve that sensor's potential anyhow, so 24MP to me is pointless if you will not be investing better lenses. It just means larger file sizes taking up space on your PC. I wouldn't put much stock in the rest of that comparison given the logic used. I'm not saying the 3200 isn't the better camera technically, but these differences will be hardly noticeable to a guy that just wants good family pics. The articulating LCD alone would make me go for the Canon.

Another point I was thinking about was the image stabilization. How important is that? I know that the Sony has it in the camera. Does Nikon or Canon offer it?

Well if you're not comparing similar lenses then there is no point in comparing the quality of the image and its sharpness at all. You have every right to disagree, but I have a degree in photography in a school where my images did very well, and were often scored the highest in the class, and have seen the proof for myself with side by side comparisons of many makes and models of each. It's also the common belief amongst the other professionals in the industry, and you can find a ton of side by side comparisons on websites that compare the image quality and specs down to mathematical equations that back up what I've found to be true, as well as many, many videos on YouTube where you're seeing side by side comparisons and examples of similar camera bodies and lenses from several higher end camera companies. It's not something worthy of starting an argument on a gun site about though so we can agree to disagree.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you, but "remarkably" is not only subjective, it just doesn't describe the differences accurately. You're talking about pixel-peeping at the microscopic level, which is not practical and I'm certain no photography school fixates on such technical nuances. But all things being equal, I would not say the difference is remarkable. If the difference were remarkable in any meaningful way, Canon would've long ago lost the dominant market share they hold in many areas, including sports and fashion photography. As a fellow Nikon shooter, I agree to agree to disagree. :)

Another question.

Since kit lenses aren't all that great should I be looking at the D3300 with just the 18-55mm kit lens? Its a little bit more money but it has some stronger specs in some areas. How good or how much use do you think I'd get out of the 50-200mm kit lens that comes with the D3200?

Back
Top Bottom